Please sign in to post.

19 days in Italy

Flying into Milan, out of Rome. Desire a more leisurely paced trip - not trying to seeing it all. Initially thought Lake Como area from Milan LIN (maybe private driver), Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast, Rome. My husband wants to add Interlaken from Como but it’s already too rushed. What to add and subtract?

Forgot to add: Arrival in Milan Sept 21st at 10 am- have a full 19 days with departure Oct 11 out of Rome.
Thanks for all your input. I was in Europe for 9 weeks as a college student decades ago, and my husband has never been. I’m feeling very overwhelmed with the planning. We will learn a lot with this trip, and hope to explore more areas in the future!

Posted by
11189 posts

How many NIGHTS and when?

Desire a more leisurely paced trip

Then you need to pare down not add on to your wish list.

With your time frame, one 'coastal experience' ( i.e., CT or Amalfi area) should be the goal.

Whatever you choose be sure Rome is the last stop.

Posted by
6914 posts

Hi,
At what time of the year will you travel?
I would, for example, skip Cinque Terre due to crowds in Jul-Aug. And even at other times of the year, I would be inclined towards skipping it because it does make you backtrack a bit, all for just about 1 day of sightseeing. Amalfi coast has more to offer.
Without any "specifics", here is a possible itinerary for 19 days: as you can see, it is not rushed, but it is not "lazy" either. Still a decent pace, definitely no room for Switzerland in there.

• Day 1: Milan Linate - Milan Centrale - Varenna (by train, no driver needed)
  • Day 2 : Varenna
  • Day 3 : Varenna - Venice
  • Day 4 : Venice
  • Day 5 : Venice
  • Day 6 : Venice - Florence
  • Day 7 : Florence
  • Day 8 : Florence
  • Day 9 : Florence (e.g., Siena day trip)
  • Day 10 : Florence - Amalfi Coast
  • Day 11 : Amalfi Coast
  • Day 12 : Amalfi Coast - Naples (if you want to splurge on a private driver, this is the day for it)
  • Day 13 : Naples (e.g., Pompeii day trip)
  • Day 14 : Naples
  • Day 15 : Naples - Rome
  • Day 16 : Rome
  • Day 17 : Rome
  • Day 18 : Rome
  • Day 19 : Leave Rome
Posted by
4765 posts

When? Does the 19 days include the flying days?
Are your flights already booked? If not, I'd suggest flying into Venice, then go to Lake Como a few days later. The issue we had with flying into Milan is having enough time to commute onward that same day. Flights are increasingly chaotic with cancelations and delays. Unless, of course, you were going to spend time in Milan itself.

I agree , if you are going to Lake Como and Amalfi, skip the CT.

One option would be fly into Zurich, go to the Berner Oberland, to Pontressina/Chur, ride the Bernina Express to Tirano, Italy, on to Lake Como, then Milan, and Venice. Maybe keep this trip northern?
Have a great time planning!

Posted by
4 posts

Forgot to add flying into Milan at 10am Sept 20th, fly out of Rome Oct 11th. 19 full days.

Posted by
27163 posts

I really like balso's suggested itinerary. I think it would be difficult to improve it and still hit all those destinations. Of course, your personal interests might suggest a minor tweak in the days allotted to each destination, but you certainly won't run out of things to do in the allotted time.