Please sign in to post.

Civitavecchia to Rome?

Has anyone taken the train from Rome to the cruise port city? I have inquired on-line and was quoted $30 pp each way. Traveling from Rome on Aug. 26, 2008.
Thanks
Sandy

Posted by
23341 posts

Use the search box. This question is asked and answered every other day. Don't know where you are looking for fare quotes, but $30 is way too high. A second class one way ticket is about $10. We have made that trip four times.

Posted by
6898 posts

Of course travelers on this site have done this. Cab fare is about 40Euro. Train fare is much much less. When you disembark, you can take a shuttle to the port entrance. The train station is just under a mile but a very nice walk. If you plan on taking the train, don't look for a taxi to take you to the train station. You'll be wasting your time. They want the fares to Rome. There are different train categories than depart Civitavecchia for Rome. The R train costs 4.50Euro. The Eurostar will cost 10Euro.

Posted by
88 posts

I've been researching this myself for our upcoming cruise.

Online booking agencies charge way more than necessary for what you need.

I have taken this regional train before, but it was 8 yrs ago. I doubt much has changed, other than it is now more difficult to find a taxi to take you to the port entrance.

It is 2nd Class, but it gets you where you need to go in reasonable comfort.
No a/c, but open windows are fine while the train moves...even in August.
You will stop at every station along the way, but they are short and you will not have to change trains.

What you need to do is go to

www.trenitalia.com

to get the schedules for the regional train (R) to Cvcc on your desired departure date.
Avoid the IC and the ES trains, as they cost more & require reservations.

You can buy your tickets at the Roma Termini station (thank you Frank from Centennial)the day before you need it.

Here is a trick I learned on another website about avoiding stairs at Cvcc station:

To avoid the stairs & be let out at street level, choose a train that does not continue beyond Cvcc.

You can check this by selecting Roma Termini departing to Livorno.
If the train number to Cvcc on that route is listed, then you will have to climb stairs.
If it isn't listed, then you will get off the train at street level.

Anyway, that is what a recent traveler posted in the Cruise Critic forum.
And I plan to try this when I go on Aug 31.

Hope this is helpful.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you everyone for the help on train travel. We are getting excited about our excursion which starts on Aug. 21st.
Sandy

Posted by
23341 posts

I think Jill's posting about stairs and street level is a little misleading or at least it was to me. The trains that dead end at Civ come in on track 1 which is at the SE corner of the station and you can walk directly into the station. Trains passing through Civ will be on either track 2 or 3 which means that you have to use stairs down to the tunnel under the tracks and stairs back up to the station level. Very typical of small Italian train stations or for that matter, European stations. The Civ train station is elevated and to get to the street level you will need to use the stairs across the parking lot in front of the station or follow the road ramp from the parking lot that leads to the street.