Please sign in to post.

accomodations

Hi all...

We are travelling to rome in September. I just stumbled onto this website of B&B places but would need your help in determining which would be my best bet - in terms of ease of getting to and from various attractions..

We were originally looking at staying near the Termini which is supposed to be very central.. but as you can imagine it could also be very pricey.

Can someone make suggestions re:any of these listings.. some descriptions say close to the train stations but how long do i have to be on the train to get from point a to b is not really clear..

I would appreciate your response/input

Here's the website
http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations

Posted by
1540 posts

Marilou,
I stayed near the Train Station (Termini) and found it very convenient. I stayed at the Hotel Louisiana.
It is an old bldg. and it appears that each floor is a different hotel.
The lobby is on the second floor.
My room was on the 7th floor (top floor).
Very nice room with lots of room and large bathroom.
The breakfast room is not much - I prefer to grab something on the street.
There are several nice little restaurants on the same street or within a few blocks.
I could walk to the train station and the metro
station Republica. From there, I could go
anywhere. Several bus lines ran from the Republica
area into the Vatican area and elsewhere.
I bought a Roma pass for 3 days and saved a lot on
public transportation.
You might ask at the hotel if they offer a special rate for "Rick Steves" guests. It worked for me :)

I think all hotels, B&Bs etc are expensive in
Rome.
Frances

Posted by
1540 posts

Marilou -
Another thought....
I've had several friends stay in convents and they all had excellent experiences. Seems like they are located in several locations in Rome.
Frances

Posted by
32200 posts

Marilou, have you checked Rick's "Italy" book for accomodations? There are a number of listings there in different price ranges, and in different parts of Rome.

The Termini area is a good area to stay, as it's close to both rail and Subway. On my last visit (a month ago) I stayed in the Trastevere area, and had a great time!

Happy travels!

Posted by
160 posts

Marilou,

I'v stayed at Hotel Max a few times. Located right near the train station, clean, safe, staff very nice and helpful.

Posted by
32 posts

I'd recommend that you spend some time looking at a map to become somewhat familiar with the area where you want to spend most of your time. Then you should be able to figure out where the various accomodations fit in.

Posted by
88 posts

We recently booked the Hotel Palladium Palace which is a stone's throw from Roma Termini.
We stayed there 8 yrs ago, and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

The best rates we could find is from www.gtahotels.com

There is a hotel called Fawlty Towers near there that is pretty basic according to what I've read.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions.. i think i have narrowed down to 2 locations: santa maria maggiore and termini..

any thoughts?

also.. can you give me any idea on best way to get from the airport to the termini station? cost? is there a train pass that you can purchase that would be good for the travel to and from the airport but also can be used for travels within rome?

thanks
Marilou

Posted by
1127 posts

If there is 2-3 people traveling the train is the best option for stay near Termini. If there are more people arrange for a private car like Romecabs.com.