Please sign in to post.

trains on time ?

I had a friend comment that when he was in Italy, the trains between cities were never on time - either 1/2 hour early or 1/2 hour late. Is that true ?

Posted by
7737 posts

We were there for three weeks last month, took at least eight train rides and never had any problem with the timing of the trains. That's not to say they were all 100% punctual, but nothing worth mentioning.

Just watch for a last-minute change of track numbers. That happened a few times. If there's an announcement and all of a sudden everyone who's been waiting next to you on the platform suddenly leaves, follow them!

Posted by
400 posts

We had no problem with the express trains but that was not the case with the regional trains. While we were in the CT, the trains went on strike all morning (no warning). That afternoon when the trains started running again, they were at all crazy times. Seems the strike thru off the whole schedule for that day. We were so happy our plans weren't to leave or go into that area for that day.

Posted by
23267 posts

I think that is Italian urban myth. Our experience is that the trains run close to scheduled time. I have never seen a train early and the most late was five minutes --- maybe ten at the most. The last minute track change can be a surprise. We tend now to wait at head of the track and watch the overhead board closely.

Posted by
22 posts

We never had any problems with the trains. No more than 5 minutes late leaving on any of our travels. We found the train system extremely efficient and relatively cheap.

Posted by
152 posts

Hi Dan. Just a "myth." Like you we had been "warned" about the Italian train system. We travelled on 8-9 train trips in May 2008. One train leaving from Rome was about 10 minutes late. All others were right on time, including numerous regional trains. Strikes can impact all types of trains, but during our trip travel by train was a real pleasure. I really can't imagine a train leaving early. In fact, on a few occasions we clearly waited in smaller stations (regional trains) until scheduled departure times. As a Canadian I left very impressed with the efficiency of the entire train experience. Go for it!

Posted by
6898 posts

For the most part, Italian trains are on time - especially the Eurostars. We did experience a few local R trains that were late. It seems to me that with 8,000 trains a day on all those tracks, they will occasionally hold the local R trains in the smaller stations to let the faster trains roar on through.

Posted by
2207 posts

Dan, I think Larry is right on target. The Eurostar trains are usually on time or within 5 minutes. The local or regional trains could be +/- 10 minutes. We travel often by train - mostly Regionale around Rome. Note that the local trains, like the bus system, run on a "holiday schedule" on Sundays and Festival days... so service will have far fewer trains running on Sundays - despite what the posted YELLOW sheet says! Strikes are ALWAYS published in the local papers, so if you have concerns, ask your hotel/landlord if anything is happening in the next few days. Strikes usually last one day or sometimes just a few hours!

In our travels we've really only had two issues and they were on Regionale trains. Once, we were riding the FR2 back from the Roma Est Mall (3 malls in Rome!!!!) and the train skipped a run. So instead of waiting for 40 minutes... we were in the station for almost 1 1/2 hours - no explanation! The other issue was on a Sunday coming back from Tivoli and we knew better... but the bus up had been packed so we WAITED (and WAITED...) for the train (Suggestion: RIDE THE BUS to/from Tivoli on Sundays!).

Good Luck and have fun on the trains. We could not get around without them!

Ciao,
Ron