Please sign in to post.

Planning

Have just returned from a wonderful month in Italy. I think I spent six months in my planning. Planning is great and exciting but what's the saying 'the best made plans ....' I had recommendations of restaurants in different places but really who has time to actually find where they are, it's okay in theory but not in practice.
Lots of things went out the window as we walked and explored and discovered. We had great food and great experiences but mostly not at the places I had 'listed' The internet is great but does it turn us into control freaks. Travel is about taking risks, having prior knowledge of certain aspects is certainly helpful but letting go and knowing you can't see everything is very freeing and less stressful. We had an average of four days in most places and seven days in one village but really you just get to know where the best coffee is, the bakery, the internet etc. and its time to move on. I would go to less places and spend more time in each. Just a thought .......

Posted by
671 posts

I think there is a happy medium, depending on your personality type. I am probably (cough, cough) a Type A person and that extends to travel, too. I like doing a mix of planning and research and then leaving some of it up to chance.

We spent too much time on a trip to Victoria BC to check out a "recommended" restaurant. It was hard to find and certainly not worth the time we spent walking to and looking for it. On the other hand, it stinks getting home and realizing that you were close to something cool and completely missed it. If I had a lot more time available (vacation- work and kids', budget), then I would definitely slow down and leave more to chance.

Posted by
683 posts

We wholeheartedly agree. Our trips have been longer but we had few reservations,mostly bought groceries and cooked in apartments,did stuff on an ad hoc basis,stayed in one place for long enuf to learn it well. It is true that fewer places for a longer time is the way to go!

Posted by
7737 posts

I do think there's a lot to be said for 2-3 nights in lots of different places your first time in Italy. That way you get a sense of where you might want to return to on your next trip, and then spend 4-7 nights in each place.