Please sign in to post.

Railpass or Point to Point

I am traveling with my 27 y-o daughter (just the 2 of us). We have a definite travel route set up with our accommodations already reserved:
Venice (sleeping in Lido)-2 nights; Cinque Terre (Sleeping in Vernazza)-2 nights; Siena-3-nights; Sorrento-6 nights; Roma-2 nights.
My question is . . .should we buy a railpass or point to point tickets?? Any ideas?

Posted by
6898 posts

A very good question. All in all, you really don't need the pass. P2P will be very reasonable on many segments of your journey. Some of your journey will be on trains that require seat reservations. If you have a railpass and you travel on a Eurostar (i.e. Venice/CT, Rome/Naples) you will pay 15E extra for the seat reservation in addition to your pass. As you travel other routes (i.e. CT/Siena, Siena/Rome), you will most likely be on trains that do not require reservations or if they do (i.e. IC trains), it's about 3Euro. Then, you have the private Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento which does not have reservations.

Also, its a bit of a boat trip from the Venice train station to Lido. Make sure that you plan your time when you depart to get there on time.

Posted by
26 posts

We just got back and did a VERY similar itinerary. It was NOT worth it to get a pass. We did point to point 2nd class everywhere we went and it was great. We just got our tickets from the machines before each trip and were fine.