Please sign in to post.

HELP! with itinerary

We leave Aug 2 for 3 weeks( 2 adults children 8 and 10) arrive Venice and staying with relatives til Aug 9. Unsure after that thinking Bellagio for 3 nights at Hotel Belvedere then maybe CT, or Lucca for 2-3 nights(poss day trip to Pisa and Florence) to Positano for 3-4 nights then to Rome for 3 nights and flying home. Will probably rent car for the last 2 weeks. Any itinerary suggestions and hotels. Thanks.

Posted by
331 posts

Hi Luana, Check out the website "Homelidays.com". They have all kinds of accomodation most of which have kitchens and living areas. We are travelling in july with 2 adults and 2 kids(12+14) and the price worked out better for us to rent this way for a few nights than get 2 hotel rooms. It also makes it possible to just "hang around" if we need a relaxing day of nothing. There are lots of photos and you can e-mail the owners and get ideas of where to "daytrip" to. Good Luck

Posted by
32173 posts

luana, that's a very BUSY Itinerary even for a three week trip! If I'm reading your post correctly, you will be spending the first week with relatives near Venezia, leaving two weeks for the remainder of your stops?

I don't see much allowance there for travel times? The trip from Venice to Bellagio will likely be 4-6 hours. Keep in mind there will be likely be tolls on that route and Gas (Benzina) or diesel is about €1.52/liter at the moment according to sources on the net. I believe travel to the CT will be about the same time frame (depending on which town you choose).

However, the trip from northern Italy to Positano will likely be 6-8 hours (basically a full day). I have to agree with Kent in that Sorrento might be a better choice? I was just in the Amalfi Coast a few weeks ago, and driving there is NOT for the "faint of heart".

As Kent mentioned your trip would certainly be possible by train, but some careful planning would be necessary once you finalize the locations you want to visit. August is a busy time in Europe (especially Italy), as many of the "locals" take their vacations at that time.

A few other things to keep in mind. First, to drive in Italy you'll need to obtain an International Driver's Permit. This can be obtained at CAA offices for a modest fee, and MUST be used in conjunction with your normal driver's license. While some people choose to drive without this, I believe it's mandatory in Italy and if you're stopped by the Police you may be fined if you don't have one.

Also, check other posts here regarding the dreaded "Zona Traffico Limitato" zones. If you drive through one of these zones, you might receive an expensive ticket a few months after you return home. Then of course there's the parking issue, especially in cities.

My intent is not to be "negative" regarding your travel plans, but simply to make you aware of potential problems and perhaps suggest some alternatives.

Good luck & happy travels