Please sign in to post.

What to wear

We're anxious to start our vacation in June for 2 weeks in Italy (Venice, Rome, Siena and Florence). We're beginning to start to think about what to pack for clothes. After reading previous posts and websites, I decided to just ditch the shorts altogether and wear loose fitting pants. However; my wife is unsure if capris and flip-flops would be acceptible in Italy especially in churches/duomo although they are light-weight and comfortable. I can't recall seeing flip flops in 'The Godfather' movie.

Posted by
2207 posts

Lou, there's always many posts on how to dress in Italy. I say - be comfortable! Leaving the shorts is probably a good idea. I never wear shorts here unless I'm bumming around the house or at the beach. For your wife, lot's of folks wear capris, sandals, etc. In June, it will be hot (75' today and BEAUTIFUL in Rome!)

Just know that if you are going to any churches, knees and shoulders must be covered - so plan that into your day. My wife wears tank tops to stay cool, but always has a light jacket, sweater, or scarf available to use if we want to jump into a church - and there's 934 churches just in Rome!

Wear clothes that you'll feel good in and as my wife says, "if we look out of place, we can always buy local." Any excuse to shop works for her!!!! ;-)

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
152 posts

As Ron noted this topic has been hotly debated. we're just back from Italy and hit all 4 of the places you mention. We saw Capri's and flip flops everywhere and they are certainly fine for churches. Well I rarely wore shorts I was sure glad I had them (not beach shorts). Even in May, when it was fairly cool, Rome was humid and awfully hot when we were climbing around the Forum and the Colleseum. we also wore them hiking in Tuscany. Shorts were not much use in Florence and Siena, and Rome in the evening and on church days. Well I didn't wear shorts in Venice, plenty of people did (except at St. Marks). Certainly not trying to start any controversy here...people feel strongly on this topic. But I was glad that I had a pair of shorts along. But the Capris and flip flops are certainly ok...have fun....

Posted by
26 posts

So, capri's and tennis shoes would be ok at the Vatican? I'm bringing along a skirt but I would be so much more comfortable in capri's!

Barb

Posted by
515 posts

June 2006, my daughters and I walked all over Italy in capris and flip-flops or sandals. Very hot and humid in Italy. I always wore short sleeves, but my daughters had sleeveless tops. On the day we toured the Vatican and San Marco, they put lightweight colorful scarves around their shoulders. Scarves take up no packing space. Churches require knees and shoulders covered. And they mean it. But on the days we did not visit churches, my husband and son (and also the other men on our RS tour) wore walking shorts and sandals. You see shorts and flip-flops everywhere. Again I say..Italy is hot.

Have a great trip, and pack light. Ciao!