Please sign in to post.

Driving North out of Rome

Upon our departure from Rome, I would like to rent a car and head North. I wanted to get close to the main highway as I do not have any intention of driving in the heart of Rome. I asked the hotel concierge for the best place to pick up a Hertz rental and this was his reply.."The best way to get A1 Highway (leading to North) is pickin' up your car at Hertz point in Via Sardegna (near Termini Station). From this place just follow Via Salaria and after 25 minutes you will be out of Rome." My question, has anyone ever picked up from this location? It seems that Termini is so close to driving in the center?? Any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Thanking you in advance.

Posted by
2207 posts

Linda,

Termini is not in the "center" of Rome, but it is in IN ROME! I've rented cars from there often. The good news is with a GPS (and an alert navigator) you can follow the autostrada signs and get to A-1.

Signage is a challenge, and from Termini you would be traveling through neighborhoods, taking a few roundabouts, and depending on the time of day, you could be in heavy traffic.

Your concierge is correct. You can follow Via Salaria DIRECTLY to the GRA (the loop around Rome) and the autostrada - LOOK for the green signs to A1-FIRENZE.

The challenge will be getting FROM Termini TO ... Via Salaria. There is no "one" road to connect you! Roads in Rome also do not go from point A to point B. There are many one-way roads and constant switch-backs. It appears you have about 1- 1 1/4 miles from Termini to Via Salaria... after that it's clear sailing, staying on that same road. A GPS would do it, the Michelin map site can help, Hertz could direct you (would not rely on that though).

We drive here all the time so I guess we're jaded by our experience ... I would recommend leaving around 10 AM - 2 PM to avoid the most traffic. Again, KNOW where you want to go, use a GPS, and you should have no problems! Any questions, drop us a line!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
10344 posts

Ron is one of the few people on the board who has driven in Rome, so his advice is very helpful. A second way to do this is something I've done before. I've never driven in Rome. When I want to drive north out of Rome I fly into Rome, stay in Rome for however many days I am staying, and then take a taxi to the airport and am dropped off at the car rental facility, pick up the car and from the airport it's not difficult to get going towards points north.

Posted by
2207 posts

Kent makes a good point... the airport is an GOOD alternative and has easy access to the GRA, the autostrade, and the north. Certainly that's a great option is you're uncomfortable driving in Rome! It will add about an hour (or more) to your journey).

If you rent a car in downtown, the navigator is actually the "most important" person in the car. My wife drives ALL THE TIME, especially when we're in downtown areas, because she's not used to the GPS. It's very difficult to catch street names in Rome, and if you miss your turn you have to stop, either wait for the GPS to recalculate - or if you're "mapping it," figure out which one-way street gets us back on "PATH."

But she is VERY comfortable driving in Europe - and has done so EVERYWHERE - as long as she knows when to turn, how far, etc.

There are many stories about driving in Rome and they're probably ALL TRUE! But if you hold your ground (SHOW NO FEAR), and stay on PATH... it's not as bad as everyone says!

(Just buy Super CDW and then you NEVER have to worry. We always do and 20% of the time we have a ding, scratch, etc. and most happen in parking lots - not on the road!)

Maybe I'm assimilating TOO Much, but I am actually starting to enjoy driving in Rome! ;-)

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
606 posts

If you're determined to use Hertz, taking a taxi back to Hertz at the airport may be your best option.

I generally use Europcar, which has locations all over Europe, and all over Rome. I take a taxi from downtown Rome and pick the car up at the Europcar branch on Via Tiburtina, which is in the northeast corner of Rome and an easy, short and fairly direct drive to A1. This avoids the long backtrack to the airport and the drive from there back to northeast of Rome.

Posted by
401 posts

If there is no major construction on the GRA i would second getting the car from the airport. Navigation right around Termini is something I feel comfortable doing, but only because I'm used to it, there are all these wild turns and informal intersections, lots of "is he going to slow down and let me in?" moments, and yes, it is in the center of Rome, give or take a few city blocks. It is easy to connect to the A1 from Fiumicino and send you on your way North. Avoid rush hour at all costs!