Please sign in to post.

17 days in Italy

Hello Travelers!

My 6 year old son and I (43) are relocating to Madrid, Spain with my job in 3 weeks from Seattle. We are planning a 17 day vacation through Italy August 2-19. This will be my son’s first time, I have been twice before. We plan on taking the train/bus most places. Would love for itinerary advice:

This trip I want to take it a little slower and enjoy all Italy has to offer in these areas while slowing down to enjoy my time with my son after some big life changes with move to a new country and new job. Does this do that for us? Any tweaks or recommendations you have?

From Madrid - Fly into Naples, stay in Sorrento 5 nights
Visit day trips to Amalfi Coast - Naples, Sorrento, Pompei, Positano, Ravello - day trip to Capri/ Blue Grotto
Take train to Rome 4 nights
Take train to Florence 4 nights
Day trip to Siena
Day trip to Cinque Terre
Take train to Venice 3 nights
Fly out of Venice to Madrid

Cheers and thank you in advance!

Posted by
145 posts

I traveled a lot with my son when he was small. He remembers almost nothing about it, but he was a good traveler. The key for me was to go slow so he didn't get tired and cranky. And to remember that "looking" is less fun for little guys than "doing." Museums and churches can be nice and cool, but I'm not sure how long he'd be interested. You might think about the zoo in Rome? Also, the Villa Borghese has a lovely park. If memory serves, there's not much for a little boy to do in Siena. Same is true of Cinque Terre, although the beach will be fun. I'll bet he loves the canals in Venice and he might like the boat trips to any of the little islands. Look for merry-go-rounds in tiny piazzas in Florence. There are quite a few articles and websites dedicated to travel in Italy with kids; just Google.

P.S. If your company wants to hire me, I'm willing to relocate to Spain. :) Don't much care what the job is.

Posted by
22 posts

Great advice! Thanks Monty! It’s a dream come true to live in Europe so I’m thrilled. My portfolio doesn’t suck either.....France, italy, Portugal and Spain.

Posted by
11294 posts

Looks good to me! Of course, everyone will do things a little differently, but I don't see any red flags or major issues with your plans.