Please sign in to post.

SCHENGEN AGREEMENT

I am going to be traveling in Europe for 6 months. Spending the majority of my time in Italy. I have attempted to get a VISA with out success, because I do not have "formal" documentation. I have an email response saying the hotel reservation is waiting and an email saying an apartment that I have rented is waiting as well. But nothing formal. I have attempted to obtain formal documentation...I have been waiting for 2 months. I can't just leave italy because of the Schengen agreement. What should I do? Does England qualify? And how long will I have to be away from Italy? 1 week 2 weeks. I have attmepted to get answers from the Italian consulate in Portland, but he volunteers and hasn't repsonded either. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Posted by
23178 posts

What is formal documentation? It is 90 days in and 90 days out. England is not part of the Schengen agreement but going to a week or two will not cut it.

Posted by
606 posts

As you are learning, saying you will be traveling in Europe for 6 months is a lot easier than actually doing it. Citizens of, for example, the US and Canada, can't just go live in Europe for several months. They welcome us as a tourist. They don't want us as a resident.

If you are not an EU citizen, you MUST have a visa to stay for longer than 90 days (total) out of any 180 day period. The old days of meeting the requirement by just hoping over the border to another country for lunch are long gone. You now would need to leave the entire EU for 90 days before returning for another 90.

There's lots of information on this HERE.

Posted by
6898 posts

Is it possible to consider some length of time in Switzerland. Switzerland is not an EU country and some level of commuting into Italy is possible.