Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Varenna

I have tried to book a train ticket from Milan to Varenna on Trenitalia.com. It continues to say "no solution found". The time is within 60 days. I have also tried to search for Milan to Sondrio & Milan to Tirano just in case - still no luck. Has anyone had any success at pre-booking this train leg?

We are traveling at the end of June so we are assuming it is wise to prebook, but maybe this isn't necessary?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted by
6898 posts

Trenitalia has been very slow to post many of their upcoming timetables - especially weekends. Second, it is not necessary to book ahead for most train runs in Italy. Just try to buy your tickets 1-2 days in advance of travel. Third, all trains from Milan to Varenna are local R (Regionale) trains. From my experience, Trenitalia always shows a "NO" in the purchase column for R trains. Also, you cannot make a seat reservation on an R train as they are not permitted. Just like your local bus system, you hop on and find any available seat. If no seats, you can stand.

CLICK HERE to see a morning train schedule for 6/5. When Trenitalia updates their schedules, you won't see much of a change.

Posted by
4555 posts

Larry's right on. Since it's a regional train, you won't be allowed to buy it in advance even when it shows up in the timetables....much like the GO train service, you just buy and hop on board.

Posted by
13 posts

Ahh! Mystery solved. Thank you for your answers!

Posted by
6 posts

Tia, I agree with the previous postings. We bought our ticket in the morning of our departure very easily. The ticket clerk even asked us "Varenna or Verona?" just like Rick mentions in his guidebook. We stood up and grabbed our bags one stop before Varenna (5 min) so that we were ready to hop off the train. One unlucky passenger didn't listen to his friends and we all watched the train leave with him still on it.

Posted by
6 posts

Tia, I agree with the previous postings. We bought our ticket in the morning of our departure very easily. The ticket clerk even asked us "Varenna or Verona?" just like Rick mentions in his guidebook. We stood up and grabbed our bags one stop before Varenna (5 min) so that we were ready to hop off the train. One unlucky passenger didn't listen to his friends and we all watched the train leave with him still on it.