Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions

We're planning a trip to Europe (mostly Italy) this summer. We're renting an RV and taking our two kids ages 2 and 12, as well as my Mom. I would appreciate feedback on the itinerary, as well as any ideas. Thanks!
May 30 Arrive Dusseldorf, Germany rent Rv, head to Rhine
May 31 Rhine
June 1 Drive to Swiss Alps
June 2 See Gimmelwald
June 3 Drive to CT
june 4 CT
June 5 Siena
June 6-7 Hill towns Voltera, Urbino, Chuisi, Pienza
June 8-10 Rome
June 11-13 Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii
June 14 Paestum
June 15 Long drive to Venice
June 16 Venice
June 17-18 Vienna
June 19 Salzburg
June 20-21 Barvaria
June 22 Back to Dusseldorf
June 23rd Depart

Posted by
10344 posts

Sounds like an interesting trip. A couple of thoughts I have are: See if you can spend an extra day in the Gimmelwald area Also an extra day or two in the CT If you can't do either of the above, you could consider deleting one destination from your itinerary to give you the extra time Gas in Europe is running $8-$9 per gallon and about a dollar less for diesel, in the RV that that will add up quick, we have heard stories here of people in vans spending €100 or about $160 to fill up the tank You don't say whether you have driven in Italy before, if not then be advised that parking an RV will be something you want to focus on and maybe do some detailed planning in advance on to make sure that the parking works out the way you want. Stpe 6 & 7 you list some Tuscany towns with very narrow streets, narrower than anything you have seen in the US or Canada, maybe 10 feet to 12 feet wide with walls or buildings at the edge of the roads, that will be some driving you will want to think carefully about And parking an RV in Rome will be an interesting challenge for you