Please sign in to post.

Trains- HELP

Is the Amica fare all the time or just a certain number until they sell out (Trenitalia). Also, IF we buy our train tickets before we leave for Italy (and Austria, too) I am assuming we have to choose a certain departure time. If we change our minds to go on a later train, can we do that? Is there a penalty for the change on Trenialia or Bahn.de? Also, the good fares I am finding on Bahn.de now (for Austria) - will they be available in country or do I need to buy them now? Another concern: I looked up the fares on Austria's train line (oebb.at) to compare to Bahn.de and Bahn.de wins. However, when we are at the train station in, say, Innsbruck, can we buy Bahn.de tickets or only Austria rail tickets? The tickets seem to be for the same exact train and class but different fares.

Posted by
6898 posts

Doreen, the Amica fare is a limited discount based on day, class and train category. It's offered up until midnight of the day before travel or until they all have been sold.

On having to select a firm departure time, it depends on the train category and country. For the lower category of trains, you don't need a reservation (i.e, a R train or an IC train in Italy). (If Lee from Denver comes along, he's far better on the German trains than I). The ticket is an open ticket and you can jump on any similar train on that route as long as your ticket is validated. However, a good deal of what you can buy online are train runs and categories that require a seat reservation. You can still change a full fare ticket in advance of travel and up to 2-3 hours after the train has left. However, many disounted tickets are non-exchange and non-refundable. Read the conditions carefully.

Posted by
189 posts

Thanks, Tim. That's kind of what I was thinking. Do you know if we buy tickets for Munich to Innsbruck, Innsbruck to Salzburg, Salzburg to Vienna in Munich, can we buy that from Bahn.de. Also, do you know if there is a penalty if we change our minds and take a different train?

Posted by
64 posts

we just returned and bought the tickets when we arrived there and most amica fares were already sold.
but it wasnt that much higher..we did change one fare after we bought and the charge was 3 euro
jo

Posted by
400 posts

I ditto what Joanne says....we too just got back and bought our tickets as we traveled. We always asked for Amica tickets for seat res. but were told "no"...just no. No explanation, nothing. I'll assume they were sold out.

Posted by
8700 posts

I assume that the cheaper fares you saw at bahn.de were advance purchase discount fares and probably only available online. If you buy tickets at a station window in Germany, you'll likely have to pay full fare. And certainly if you buy tickets in Innsbruck, you'll pay whatever Austrian Rail charges.