Please sign in to post.

Train from Milan to Venice

We are arriving in Malpensa at 6:35am on a Friday and will be taking the train to Venice. I'm not sure how long it takes to get to the train station from the airport. Should I buy my train tickets in advance or purchase when I get to the station?

Posted by
6898 posts

Ann, Malpensa is about 40 miles from the Milan train station. An airporter bus service will take you to the train station. I don't know the cost but the trip will take close to an hour.

Next, there are 27 trains a day going from Milan to Venice. You won't have trouble getting a seat anytime during the day. Just buy a ticket at the self-service machine and away you go. The machine can prompt you in English and accepts your credit card. Or, you can go to the ticket window.

I'm providing you with a typical mid-morning train schedule for a Friday so that you can be equipped with a list of choices when you arrive at the station. Look at the "Train Category" column. Seat reservations are required for the ES and EC trains but seat assignments will be provided when you buy the ticket. The IC trains don't require a seat reservation but for a couple of Euro, you can get a seat reservation. I would suggest getting a seat reservation. (Next Message)

Posted by
6898 posts

The R train that you see in the "Train Category" is the local. It stops at every stop. For a novel experience, buy a ticket from Milan to Venice on an R train. No seat guarantees. Just validate your ticket, get on and find a seat. BUT, you can get off for awhile in Verona, Vicenza or Padua on the way, walk around and get back on a later R train without penalty. It takes a lot longer to get to Venice but you get to see a few more places. You can't do that on an ES or EC train with a ticket from Milan to Venice. Your ticket is for the one train at that particular time. The R train is different.

CLICK HERE for the train schedule.

Posted by
8 posts

I might try that train later in my trip After 15 hours on a plane we want the shortest route to Venice. I feel more confident about not buying the train tickets in advance now. Thank you

Posted by
1449 posts

there are many trains each day to Venice, as you can see from the Trenitalia site. So they won't be sold out (strikes, different matter!) Simply buy them from the automated kiosk in the station when you get to the train station. It's quite a distance from the airport to the station, you can find your options from any guide book or a google search. You might want to look at the Trenitalia site now and print out a list of possible departure times because some of the trains are an hour or more faster than others.