Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Venice

I am planning to rent a car from AutoEurope when I leave Venice for Padua, Florence, Cinque Terre, Tuscany and return it at the Rome airport.

Should I rent at Piazzale Roma or Mestre Rail station? I am thinking Mestre. If I pick up the car at Mestre do I still go to Piazzale Roma to get a train to Mestre? Is Piazzale Roma the Santa Lucia train station?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted by
147 posts

If you'll shop prices you may find that you're better off with another car rental co. I've never used AutoEurope as I've always found them way more expensive than Advantage, etc.

Wherever they show on their list is good, either one.

Posted by
705 posts

Can't help with car rentals but Piazzale Roma is the bus termial and the station, Santa Lucia is one vaporetto stop before on the grand canal.

Posted by
711 posts

John..We have just returned from 1 month in Italy and we rented a car after our stay in Venice. We rented from Auto Europe and picked it up in Piazza Roma which is a lot easier than going all the way to Mestre on the train. We rented ahead of time of course, took the boat toPiazza Roma ,walked to the place where all the rental car places are-- ask someone when you get off the boat,and got the car. It even had a navigation system whicn proved to be a big help. They will give you a map if you ask and show you how to get over the causeway and onto the autostrada. We drove all over Tuscany and Umbria for several weeks and dropped the car off in Le Spezia before taking the train to the Cinque Terre. We took the train to Pisa and then flew to Rome and home.