Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

How many days does it take to visit in the Cinque Terre area? And how long should one stay in Bologna? My daughter is trying to organize our trip. Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

I suggest that a very good visit will take 2 full days and 3 nights with an escape to your next destination early after the third night. Two full days will give you ample time to casually explore all of the towns, hike the trails between the towns, eat lots a great food and possibly take a round-trip on the ferry from Monterosso to Portovenere.

If your schedule is a bit tighter than that, you can drop the third night and leave in the afternoon of the second day. Or, train in early on day one, spend two nights and train out the morning after the 2nd night.

Posted by
62 posts

I can help with Cinque Terre.
We arrived in Vernazza about 1:00 pm, checked into our room, changed clothes and started our hike to Monterossa, which took us about 4 hours. I am 58 yers. old and weigh 200lbs. I had to stop a lot to rest and just take in the most amazing views I'd ever seen. Having flown into Milan that day and not getting any sleep on the plane, we grabbed a piece of pizza and got back to the room about 6pm. Slept until 9am the next day. We then walked the remainder of the CT and ended up in Rio Maggiore. Took the train back, ate dinner and went to bed. We had to leave the next morning. Not near enough time. But, it depends on how rested you are and what you want to do. I would have stayed another day and spent more time in each of the little villages, breaking up the hike a little more. Regardless, you will LOVE the CT.