Please sign in to post.

How much time?

I'm trying to decide what time to make my reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia. We will arrive by train at about 10:00.

How long shall I give us to figure out the bus schedule, get on the bus and find our way to the museums?

How much time should I expect it will take to get between the two museums?

Thanks!

Posted by
23547 posts

Give yourself 30 minutes from the train. You have no need for a bus. And allow another 30 minutes between the two museums.

Posted by
53 posts

I would allow myself some time in there in case of delays. Probably wouldn't book before noon.

Posted by
632 posts

Less than a mile from the train station to the Uffizi.

Posted by
805 posts

I agree with not before noon. Never count on Italian trains (or much else in Italy for that matter) to be on time.

It is maybe a 10-15 minute walk between the two if I recall correctly.

Posted by
6898 posts

Yes, there are buses but with traffic in the historical area, you might be able to walk there faster. Also, you need to know which ones to catch. Walks to the Accadamia and Uffizi are easy walks that take you past shops, squares, piazzas, etc. When walking from the Accadamis to the Uffizi, you will pass, or be within a block of the Bargello, il Duomo, the baptistery, the Duomo museum and other historical sites.

If you really must take the bus, the bus station is adjacent to the train station. They do have an information window where you can buy tickets but in our experience, they didn't speak English. However, I'm sure they understand "Accadamia" and "Uffizi".

Posted by
225 posts

Thank you!

I think we will work on walking distances so she will be ready for some longer walking when we get there. I think it's a good idea to leave plenty of time so we can enjoy the walk more leisurely and not feel rushed.

I appreciate all the help!

Posted by
4555 posts

The distance from SMN station to the Uffizi is a little over 3/5 of a mile...from there to the Accademia, it's about 4/5 of a mile. If your daughter can handle the first one OK, she should be able to walk. However, if you judge the bus the best, the 23A (destination SORGANE) or the 23 B (destination NAVE A ROVEZZANO) should take you from the bus station outsid SMN train station to the Uffizi in 5 or 6 minutes. It goes around the Duomo, too. Just confirm your destination, Uffizi, with the driver. The bus stop is to your immediate right as you come out of the train station. For Uffizi to the Accademia, it's a little more difficult because of all the one-way streets. (more)

Posted by
4555 posts

If you can, walk back to the Duomo and look for Via de Martelli, which runs north from the north side of the Duomo (a major street, which turns into Via Cavour). There, take the 1, 6, 11, or 17 bus north for three blocks to Piazza San Marco, and you're just a few steps away. Again, check with the driver to confirm. To get back to the station, return to the Piazza San Marco and take the 1, 7, 10, 11, or 17, and those should get you back to the train station. Again, confirm with the driver that the bus is going to Piazza Stazione. You can confirm all these routes (in case there are any changes) at the ATAF bus line ticket booth at Piazza Stazione