Please sign in to post.

Trenitalia train tickets

I have seen on this sight that Trenitalia are not taking American credit cards, is this still true? I also read on Rick Steves sight that a "3D" security system (Verified by Visa)(Mastercard SecureCode) has to be set up before the transaction can take place. What exactly is this? Do you arrange the security system through your credit card company? Besides buying the tickets(reservations) once I arrive, are there other options to buying the tickets in advance? I will be there in June.

Posted by
805 posts

I had no problem buying the tickets through TrenItalia's website last summer. Most of the time when I see the secure code requirement it means you have to provide the special verification number printed on the back of your credit card (or on the front of an American Express card), which you should only know if you have the card in hand.

Posted by
2207 posts

Felecia - I'm not sure what the 3D security system is (sounds pretty complicated for Italy!!). Living here I have my Capital One MC account set up...

But having said that ... just don't go through the hassle. Buy your tickets here - EVERYBODY does! The kiosks are easy to use and you only need "reserved" seats on Eurostar trains. There are other options such as RailEurope but the "additonal" charges can add up...

There are plenty of trains here - and plenty of options, Wait till you get here!

Ciao!

Posted by
23 posts

Ron, I'm cool with purchasing most of my tickets when I get there. However, there are 2 eurostar trains I really need to catch due to making a reservation for a museum in Florence and meeting my B&B owners at a certain time in Venice. I realize I have boxed myself in here, but I am concerned about getting reservations for those particular trains if I wait. ??

Posted by
2207 posts

Felecia - send me a private message with the times and dates you need to be in Florence and Venice and WHERE you will be coming from so I can look at different route options... also, how many seats will you need on each trip!

I'll do some reseacch and ask a friend who works in the travel industry here what his opinion is...

Ciao!

Posted by
424 posts

I tried a dozen times to purchase my tickets in advance on Trenitalia using 3 different credit cards and 3 different computers. No luck. When I arrived at FCO - I had a list of my trains/times/dates and purchased them all at once at the Ticket Counter. I had trouble with one of my trains - for 3 days later not being available (this was due to the long Labor Day May 1 weekend) I was able to get on a train 30 minutes later. Everything went perfectly. Next trip I made to Italy last December, I again produced my list, bought the tickets all at once (and put them in deep storage) and went on my merry way.

Posted by
1170 posts

Use italiarail.com. We buy our train tickets in Europe, BUT everytime we plan a trip, there are one or two trains that could wreak havoc on our flights, etc. if we miss them. So, last time we purchased from this site before we left, and with the US phone number on the site, I was able to ask my really dumb questions! Good service AND cheaper than the overpriced raileurope site!

Posted by
4 posts

Carla,
Thanks for the tip about italiarail.com. I just made train reservations and the site was very easy to use.