Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Florence?

I am moving to Florence September 2nd to study abroad until December. One weekend my girlfriend and I (also studying abroad) were thinking about renting a car and driving through Tuscany for a weekend. We don't have a clue as to where or when we'll go but are discussing the idea of getting a car. Would you suggest this or say no all together because its too expensive? Where should we go if we do this? Suggestions on where to get a car?

Posted by
2207 posts

JB how's the weather in Charleston? Used to live west of the Ashley many years ago! Congratulations on cooming overseas to study!

Here's a list of the Hertz offices in Florence- I would imagine Avis has the same number if not more. I agree with Kent - go through AutoEurope as they will probably be your "broker" for Hertz/Avis. Rent first from the US, with a US ISP, and you may get a better rate...

I like the airport location as it's out of town, easy access to A-1... and as Kent points out, it's also no where near the areas where you can get heavy fines. Or see what's closest to your apt/hotel:

Florence Airport

Amerigo Vespucci Airport

Hrs of Op: Mo-Fr 0830-2330, Sa-Su 0930-2330

Via Di Novoli 75/V

Hrs of Op: Mo-Fr 0830-1230 1500-1900, Sa 0830-1230, Su closed

Via Erbosa 5B

Hrs of Op: Mo-Fr 0830-1230 1500-1900, Sa 0830-1230

Via del Sansovino 53

Hrs of Op:Mo-Fr 0830-1900, Sa 0830-1300, Su closed

Posted by
507 posts

We used Sixt in Florence a few times... Check online and call them - ask about all their discounts. They were centrally located only a few blocks from the train station but enough out of the city center that it was easy to get out of town...

For the best rates try CarJet. We used them several times last fall (did not pay in advance) and the service was exactly as promised. All their rates include full insurance - the car rental companies didn't even want to inspect the cars because we were fully covered. It's a British booking company that uses local car rental companies all over Europe.