Please sign in to post.

Wi-fi

Is Wi-fi very common around Rome, Florence, and Venice? I'm debating about buying an Ipod Touch before I go and would love to be able to use the internet capabilities it has when in Italy - it would be very useful for Google maps, checking email, etc...
Has anyone used an Ipod Touch there or have any advice?

Posted by
712 posts

Do you mean I-phone? Have not heard about Ipod touch. If it is an I-phone check how you would be billed in Europe. Met a lady who had run up a HUGE bill on a trip to Europe last summer.

Posted by
11 posts

No, I mean the Ipod touch...it does not have the phone capabilities. It is an ipod with free internet when there is Wi-fi around which most areas have nowadays.

Posted by
98 posts

Leslie:
My husband and I just returned from a trip to Italy this week. My husband was able to use his Ipod Touch in Milan, Rome and Venice by purchasing a certain amount of time at our hotels (for instance, in Rome the fee was 10 euro for 3 hours worth of time). Check with the hotels that you will be staying at to see what they offer and what the cost will be. Since the time was paid in advance there were no surprises as far as high costs...we knew what we were getting up front.

Posted by
9101 posts

In some areas there are actually so many WiFi signals, that it causes my PDA to crash-requiring a reboot. Some newer hotels have wired broadband instead of wireless. So you might want to pack a small Ethernet cable.

Posted by
1127 posts

By law all wi-fi networks are supposed to be password protected and all users must be registered so I don't think you will be able to walk around and pick up a signal. Of course in Italy what is mandated by law and what actually happens are two different things.

Posted by
606 posts

SamSn said, "By law all wi-fi networks are supposed to be password protected and all users must be registered..."

Good point. That's probably about terrorism. I know they make you show your passport sometimes at Internet Cafes. They don't want you going online if you can't be traced.

I imagine some places are free, but you still have to register. Also, some hotels and restaurants have free wi-fi, but they don't want non-customers using it, so registration would be required.

Posted by
683 posts

Altho we didnt use a laptop bcuz the hassles of bringing one along far outweigh the convenience of using internet shops, in Italy especially you cannot use a computer without showing a passport. We therefore doubt that wi-fi access (if available) can be had without at least requiring identification or , as mentioned above, registration

Posted by
9101 posts

Most WiFi hotspots are not free, and charge for access. One pays for this access by entering your credit card info. Since the CC data identifies the user, this make most all WiFi hotposts compliant under Italian law. So I guess what I'm saying is using WiFi in Italy, is no different then anywhere else in Europe or the world for that matter.