Please sign in to post.

14 days in Italy

Hi, we are a couple in mid 30s travelling to Italy for the first time. We will be reaching Milan airport on 27th night and are planning to take a train early next morning to Venice. We will reach Venice around 11 am

We are planning to leave Italy on 10th April from by a ferry from Ancona to Split

Our main interests are nature, scenic spots and culture of the place. Art, architecture and history are fine, but they will take second place, we will still do them if they are the highlight of the place and seeing them will summarize the whole culture of the place

Considering this, pls suggest if the below split up works fine, I will.then research more to come up with a day by day itinerary. And finally, we don't want to rush through the places, we want to savour the essence of the places we visit even if it means cutting down a few other locations. If this itinerary looks rushed, pls suggest which place can be removed.

Mar 28, 29 and 30 - Venice
Mar 31st, apr 1st and 2nd - Travel to Florence, sight seeing in Florence and visit cinque terre

Apr 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th - Travel to Rome and sight seeing in Rome (should we cut one day here and add it to amalfi coast or to florence?)

April 7th to 9th - Travel and stay at Sorrento or Posetano and explore amalfi coast

April 10th - need to reach Ancona to take the ferry at 9 pm. Or is it easier to go to bari and take a ferry to Dubrovnik instead? Is it possible to visit Pompeii in the morning, spend half a day and then make the travel to Bari? We are OK to skip it if it's going to be difficult, rather we can spend half a day more in the coast itself.

Posted by
7731 posts

Are driving a car?
Add an extra day in Florence since you want to visit Cinque Terre.
Seems like Sorrento or Amalfi to Bari to Dubrovinick is shorter meaning easier than going
Sorrento or Amalfi to Ancona to Bari
Cut out Pompeii or cut out a day in Rome

Posted by
11613 posts

Make sure your ferry sails the night you plan to depart. If I remember correctly, the nightly runs didn't begin until May (two years ago, things might have changed).

Posted by
4 posts

Based on suggestions given, I have decided to cut out Pompeii. Also added a day to Florence as we want to do cinque terre. Pls suggest if the below itinerary works

Mar 28, 29 and 30 - Venice
Mar 31st, apr 1st to 3rd - Travel to Florence, sight seeing in Florence and visit cinque terre
Apr 4th, 5th and 6th - Travel to Rome and sight seeing in Rome - This makes it only 2.5 days in Rome. Is this fine or should we extend this and reduce amalfi time?
April 7th to 9th - Travel and stay at Sorrento or Posetano and explore amalfi coast
April 10th - Booked a flight from Naples to Trieste, will take a bus from Trieste to reach croatia

Posted by
26834 posts

There's never enough time to see what you want to see in Italy, no matter how many trips you take. Getting to the Amalfi area takes a good bit of time. I think your time division is fine as long as you're about as interested in the scenery there as in Rome's antiquities. If you had an extra day, I'd certainly recommend that you add it to Rome rather than Amalfi, but you don't.