Please sign in to post.

14 days in Italy

Good Morning, I searched previous posts, unfortunately I did not find what I was looking for so I am kindly asking for your assistance. My daughter and I are taking our first international trip together and will be in Italy for 14 days (9/18 - 10/3). Flying into Rome, out of Milan. We want to take the train out of Rome, then can renting a car at our first destination, if needed.
We love local markets, local culture and flavor, some architecture and art, cooking, food and incredible scenery all of which I know can be met. I am hoping to stay in Rome a couple of nights to acclimate and visit, then travel to two or three more destinations and take day trips from each location. Hope to stay in B&Bs. Possible places?: Cinque Terre area, Cortona, Venice (maybe one night?), Lucca, Sienna. What are your thoughts on best places to 'park' for a few days at a time? One caveat: my daughter has some back problems so there may be a day or two where a lot of walking is out of the question (hills, etc are no problem), so I want to make sure there are local things to do close by. Thank you and sorry for the long post and question. I hope our desires are not too far fetched.

Posted by
7737 posts

Your desires are not farfetched at all. I would do more than 2 nights in Rome to acclimate. Maybe 3. And consider staying in the Trastevere neighborhood which is very charming. It's a lot like a village. Stay near the river so you can easily walk across to the historic center. Here are some photos I took when we stayed in Trastevere, if you want to get a little idea of the n'hood: Trastevere in May 2008 However, Trastevere has a lot of cobblestone streets that can be difficult to walk on. So you might also look into staying in the Piazza Navona area which is a little better for sidewalks. After Rome, consider Orvieto. It's a very charming hilltop town just south of the Tuscan border. Beautiful views and very good food. (Try La Palomba for dinner). Photos from our visit here: Orvieto in May 2011 It's very easy to walk around in. And it's a great place to pick up a rental car, rather than trying to do that in Rome. Please give Venice at least two nights. It's more than worth it, and it's very easy to walk around in. Photos here of our trips to Venice in 2008 and 2011. We're going back again next year. You're going to get lots more suggestions here. Just know that pretty much all of them will be good and don't sweat too much trying to get the "perfect" itinerary. You'll have a wonderful time no matter what combination you put together. Happy travels.

Posted by
11315 posts

You have given great info, Elizabeth. I think this might work well for you, not too fast paced and a good use of your 14 days. Think in nights though, so you can better count your touring days. Your transit days will be at least half that: transit. 9/18 - Arrive Rome, (morning?). Check in, plan light outdoor activity and stay awake until at least 21:00. 9/19 - Rome 9/20 - Rome 9/21 - depart Rome, arrive Cinque Terre. Leave as early as you possibly can so you arrive in the CT befoe 3:00PM. May B&Bs are not staffed after 3:00PM. 9/22 - CT - check out the villages, ride the boat. I am recommending only one day and two nights because if your daughter has back issues, this may be a tough place for her.) 9/23 - depart the CT, arrive Lucca. 9/24 - Lucca 9/25 - depart Lucca, arrive Siena. Make this your Tuscan base. You will arrive early afternoon. Check out Sienna for the afternoon and evening. 9/26 - Rent a car; Check out hill towns such as Cortona or Lucca (they are in opposite directions) 9/27 - Sienna and hill towns 9/28 - Sienna and hill towns 9/29 - depart Siena for Venice 9/30 - Venice 10/1 - Venice 10/2 - depart Venice, arrive Milano. Make a reservation to see the Last Supper and see the Duomo
10/3 - depart for US As I write this, it feels like a lot of moving around, but I tried to include places you mentioned. Cortona is easy by car from Siena. You only need a car in Siena to see Tuscany. If you feel rushed by this itinerary, take the nights from Lucca and add them to Rome and Siena. You can daytrip by car to Lucca from Siena.

Posted by
11315 posts

As to B&Bs, there are tons. Start with Rick's guide, check Trip Advisor. One I can personally recommend in Siena is Antica Residenza Cicogna. You should be making reservations ASAP. We make ours 6-9 months out when possible and for high season.

Posted by
277 posts

I agree with three days in Rome. There is allot to see. Trastevere is also a good choice. My opinion would be to move slowly north by train stopping in Orvieto first. You an rent a car, but it is really not necessary unless you want to see some of the smaller Tuscan towns. If Tuscany is what you want, then rent a car in Orvieto, there is a rental agency beside the train going up into the old city. If you do rent a car, then Montepulciano is a must see. Study up on the cities, and ask as many questions as you can on this board, because it can be a life saver.
You can train into Siena, or Florence, if you want the bigger city experience. Assisi, and any number of other small towns, stand between you and Venice if you are into smaller places. Then on to the Cinque Terra, via La Spezia. Any of the villages would be fine, my favorite is Vernazza, for the food, and the feel. It is a beautiful place to be at night when the tourists are gone. Daytime is a good time to visit the other towns for lighter crowds. from there, I would go to Venice. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and also works well as a place to end your trip. Marco Polo airport is easy to get to via vaporetto, and small enough to navigate easily. If you do get to Venice, look up the Ponte di Miracoli, and the church there. It is an amazing and beautiful marble wonder. Good luck! Jeff