Please sign in to post.

14 day Itinerary

Hello
My friend and I are travelling from Canada May 29-June 17 (ish), arriving in Rome. It's our first trip to Italy. We're still in the planning stages and the only ideas/plans we have so far is Sardinia. We were thinking of recovering from jet lag, and staying in Rome and flying to Sardinia on June 1. We were going to rent a car in Cagliari for the 5 days. We planned on staying there and flying back to Rome on the 5th. From there, we're stumped. We don't really want to rent a car so we thought we could use trains to travel. We are in our 50's and very young at heart. We are interested in beaches, vineyards, mountain hikes, relaxed cycling, walking tours, people watching, good meals, and the simple beauty of the Italian country. Some of the areas that have been recommended to us are Pompeii, Venice, Abruzzo, Amalfi Coast, Positano/ Amalfi/ Revello and Sorrento and then take the ferry over to Capri. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around it all and trying to 'piece' it all together in terms of putting together an itinerary and adding a timeline with the trains, etc.

I read several of the other discussions and the level of advice and suggestions have been amazing!!

Posted by
685 posts

Only you can determine what is most appealing to you and your friend - a subsequent question would be how practical your favored itinerary actually is.

Have you read a guidebook? The RS guidebook would be a great resource for you.

And there is also a great deal of basic information regarding the most popular destinations here on the RS website to give some initial insight:

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy

Posted by
253 posts

I would fly directly into Cagliari. You don't have to go through Rome and kinda "waste" a day recovering from jet lag there.

After Sardinia, go to Sorrento for 2 days (day trip to Pompeii), then take the ferry to Capri for 2 or 3 nights and then take the ferry to Amalfi for 2 or 3 nights and visit Positano and Ravello from Amalfi. From Amalfi, go to Naples or Rome for one night and fly back home.

I think Venice and Abruzzo and out of the way from the other places you want to visit.

Posted by
16312 posts

You cannot visit all of those places on your list; you will have to prioritize based on the “fit”with your wishes. You are going to have lovely, lonely beaches on Sardinia, so maybe the super-crowded Amalfi coast area and Capri will lose their appeal.

Venice is far from your other places and also very crowded and touristy.

But Abruzzo—-that will fit nicely and offer mountain hikes, beautiful countryside, good meals, and more. You can join this HF Holidays week in Abruzzo and have no need for a car. You would meet them at the Naples airport on June 4, after your visit to Sardinia (go straight there at the start as suggested above. You will recover from jet lag better there than in a bustling city like Rome.). They return you to Naples airport on June 11 and you have the rest of your time for Pompeii and whatever else you wish.

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/holidays-and-tours/discover-abruzzo-italys-wild-heart?format=pdf&vid=3513

HF Holidays is a member-owned cooperative, not a “for-profit” tour company. They are dedicated to walking holidays in the UK and around the world, and do an excellent job with their accommodations, guides, and programs. Non-members are welcome, with a small supplemental fee. We will be going on this walking holiday in September, as we feel it is the best way to experience Abruzzo without a car.

Posted by
268 posts

Lonely Planet has a guidebook on Naples, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast that covers those areas plus Capri and the islands Ischia and Procida, the city of Salerno and the Cilento region, further south in Campania. That might assist your planning.

We plan nearly a week (7 days, 6 nights) travelling through some of that area later this year … and one could easily spend twice that time. Our trip leaves out Salerno, the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Instead, we’ve decided on the Cilento, Naples, Pompeii and Ischia.

Choices, choices.