Please sign in to post.

Train from Pisa to Florence

Does anyone know about the Regional Express train from Pisa to Florence? The Pisa airport website says they have a bus that takes you to Pisa Centrale which has a connection to Florence about every 2 hours. Train ride is 1 hour. However, when I look the schedule up on raileurope.com (Pisa Centrale to Firenze SMN) the train does not appear--it says nothing is available or gives one late night connection depending on the day. Does this train exist as the Pisa Airport website claims? I'm sending my college-age daughter from England to Pisa and want to make sure she can get to Florence! Thanks.

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, it does. Italian regional train schedules are not currently published past June 14, but will run in the same way after that date. How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.

Posted by
32216 posts

Andrea,

Don't use the Rail Europe website for searching train journeys. Both the bahn.de and Trenitalia websites are far more useful and accurate.

The Pisa Airport website is correct in terms of the Bus to Pisa Centrale. There used to be rail access at the airport, but as I recall they're in the process of building an automated "people mover" from the airport to Pisa Centrale but it's not finished yet. There are numerous trains from Pisa Centrale to Firenze SMN daily, with departures about every half hour during the day. Most of the trains on that route are Regionale, so be sure to tell your daughter to validate her ticket prior to boarding the train, or she will face a hefty fine which will be collected on the spot!