Please sign in to post.

train from florence to pisa

Has anybody done this day trip? what do you recommend for buying tickets for train and sights

Posted by
656 posts

My husband I did this in March. I purchased tickets online for Pisa. After reading Ricks book and the forum we purchased a 9 am ( or whatever first time is) for the tower which also included the Duomo. In addition we purchased tickets for the baptistery and the cemetery area. We both loved Pisa and first stopped at a small caffe after getting off the train. The owner was very nice. We took early train from Florence stopped at the caffe walked a bit then had our visits. We then took a bus to Lucca. It was an easy day trip and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Posted by
656 posts

Bought train ticket that morning and the same for bus and return train from Lucca. Other tickets purchased online for sights.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you take the train to the San Rossore stop (a few blocks from the Piazza and the stop after Pisa Centrale, but not all trains stop there), be advised that the boarding track is on a curve, so the train leans away from the platform - it's about a 2-foot jump onto the train. Yesterday my friend and I saw the Leaning Tower and rode the Leaning Train.

Posted by
11294 posts

I recommend seeing Lucca and Pisa on the same day, in that order. Lucca is lovely, and by getting to Pisa later in the day you miss the worst crowds (and get the afternoon light on the marble at the Field of Miracles). I did this many years ago, but it remains one of my best travel days ever.

Florence, Pisa, and Lucca are connected by regional trains and buses.

Posted by
1054 posts

It's a regional train, just buy your train tickets at the station. No discount on that route for buying in advance. Remember to validate the ticket before boarding.

We did this couple months ago and dropped our bags at Pisa Centrele and headed for the tower. We bought all our tickets day of for the sights. We didn't climb the tower and didn't try to book for that.

Posted by
16893 posts

Pisa's tower-climbing tickets can be purchased there, often for an entrance time a few hours later. If you want to book ahead to climb the tower at a specific entry time, you can book 12 - 20 days ahead of your visit at www.opapisa.it.
Regional train schedules are not published online past June 14, at the moment, but those will give you a good idea of schedule choices for later dates. How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.