Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Order

We bought our flight before understanding where we wanted to go. We will be flying into Pisa and plan to stay like 2 weeks. With our desire to hit Florence (& Tuscany), the Cinque Terra, and Venice before heading off to Rome, in what order should we do those so we minimize travel time? I am thinking that once we land in Pisa, we take the train up to Venice (without seeing Pisa) ... then head to Cinque Terra... and then Florence. Is this the most efficient itinerary or should we hit the Cinque Terra first? Thanks!

Posted by
525 posts

Hi Ann. I did not look at the train schedules BEFORE I made our B&B reservations. We were going to Rome, Venice, Cinque TerreFlorence then to Orvieto. WRONG!
When I started looking at the train schedules, it was took long from Venice to Cinque Terre and several train changes. Now we are going to Florence before we go to Cinque Terre. You could go Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice then to Rome. It was not an issue to change the B&B dates as I booked early.
Happy travels.

Posted by
40 posts

Ann-
Checking the train options through trenitalia is a good idea. I've found that getting out of the Cinque Terre is a bit of a headache wherever you're going but agree Venice would be your worst bet.
You should, however, be pretty safe with an itinerary that follows in a sorta-circle. For example:
Pisa-Cinque Terre-Florence/Tuscany-Rome-Venice-Pisa. You can even take a night train from Rome to Venice if you desire or an early train b/w the two cities gets you there with enough time to enjoy most of the day. I've taken both the early train and the night train (with a couchette)with no problems.
Side note on Tuscany: Siena and Volterra are both amazing.
Have fun!

Posted by
30 posts

Look at the trains and book your train trips based on how long you need time in each area. Are you leaving out of PISA, or could you change that and leave out of Rome? I would think PISA to Cinque Terra, to Venice, Tuscany, rome, Pisa. Book your tickets ahead of time, so you dont' waste time trying to get there early to get tickets. I usually have all our times booked prior to the trip. Marilee