Please sign in to post.

GPS question

We will be travelling out from Montepulciano for seven days in a car. Would it be necessary to have a GPS around the towns surrounding this area? The rest of the time we will be training it. What do others think. Thank you.

Posted by
344 posts

We got a GPS added to the rentl for not very much more. I'd do what ever I could to avoid getting lost.
That is one way to get everyone in a BAD Mood!

Posted by
850 posts

It is not necessary to have a gps but it will make your driving much easier. I would encourage you to get the gps. You will be glad you did.

Posted by
689 posts

While we have never used one, we will probably do so on the next trip if we go new places. We always love to get lost but sometimes it is inconvenient.

I serve as navigator - and my 52 year old eyes don't read the small print in a moving car as well as they used to!

Posted by
689 posts

I guess I fall into the never used one but will from now on category!!! (unless the trip is a quick one only to Fallo - we know that route inside and out!)

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm one who didn't use one but would definitely get one next time.

I've driven in Northern Europe and never had any problem.

In Italy, whether you're in town or on the highway, a GPS will save you hour upon hour of wasted turns and additional stops for directions. When you travel, time is valuable, so the extra for a GPS is well worth it.

Even better, buy a GPS at home so you know how to use it and bring it with you (preloaded with European maps and favorites sites already keyed in).

Posted by
416 posts

Having my TomTom in Italy was the BEST decision I have ever made for traveling. Not only did it get me where I needed to go, it warned me when I was speeding, warned me of the speed-trap cameras and let me know when a gas station was coming up. It made driving in Florence, while hairy regardless, much less complicated. The times when we made wrong turns despite the GPS (and the times when the original route didn't match the current conditions) were less of a hassle to correct because of the alternate route capabilities. If you have any plans to drive in Europe at a later date, it is worth purchasing a GPS system here, adding Western Europe maps and taking it with you. Otherwise, just have it added to your rental car. Just as no one has ever wished they had packed heavier, no one has ever regretted having GPS.

Posted by
241 posts

It really helps if you are already familiar with using a gps...they do have their quirks.

Posted by
2297 posts

We've done a lot of driving in Europe without a GPS. And always got to where we wanted. Last trip to Switzerland was the very first one with a GPS and I don't think we got anywhere any quicker than without. Got lost a couple of times as well e.g. when construction closes down routes and/or adds new ones not in the GPS maps.

BUT the big difference was that we all were much more relaxed and had no fights at all between driver and the passenger next to him. Whatever the cost for the GPS, this side benefit is priceless ;-)

Posted by
3 posts

I would not drive in Italy without a GPS System.

Posted by
61 posts

Our TomTom 910 has been one of our best purchases for driving in Europe. It does take a lot of anxiety out of the trip. We used it last weekend and when we needed gas it even directed us to the closest gas station. Rick's books are not always the best with giving addresses, so we try to get those before hand or call. If you do not want to bring one, you can try to rent a car with one.

Posted by
68 posts

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have our own GPS so intend to buy the European information and take it with us. I agree with others they are a 'marriage saver' especially for people like me who tend to turn the map unsidedown, and inside out.
Carol

Posted by
8 posts

Don't forget that a GPS is not just useful when driving but the full featured ones can be used while walking and sight seeing. GPS adjusts and disregards one way street for example as pedestrians are not restricted by them.

Posted by
934 posts

Kent hit nail on the head.I have done it both ways and while I always managed without the GPS with it was a lot easier.My kids bought me one for Christmas several years ago and I use it in the USA also.Having my own allowed me to get to use it in advance.

Posted by
7 posts

If you bring your own GPS can you use the same plug in device that you use in the US?