Please sign in to post.

Camping

Has anyone camped while in Italy? If so, please recommend campsites. My husband and I will be in Italy for four weeks this summer. We plan to visit all over and will make some decisions about where to go based on availability of campsites. Thanks.

Posted by
6898 posts

I'm not knowledgeable about campsites in Italy but there are a few in Switzerland. There's a large campground in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. If that interests you, I'll link you to the site.

Posted by
12172 posts

I haven't done it yet but am considering it as an option for our next trip.

Camping is popular with European middle class families. They are clean, quiet and affordable. The cost is per site plus per person, but it's less than a budget hotel. They have convenient public transport, usually a bus, into city centers. There are three options tent, RV or semi permanent cabins depending on the camp. Most have a pool, store and other facilities.

I see it as a way to meet Europeans, Australians, Kiwis etc. in a way rarely explored by American tourists.

I'm deciding whether it's better to rent an RV or lease a car. Then whether I'll pack a tent and sleeping bags or buy there and bring them home as souvenirs (with the current exchange rate, bringing my own makes sense).

Check out www.frommers.com, click on Arthur's blog on the right and scroll down to his discussion on camping within the last week. It will help including links to find campgrounds.

Posted by
1158 posts

I never experienced camping in Italy, but my cusin did. He told me theya re nice and quiet clean, but you will need to pay per person. It's not like here in the US per tent. Sorry, I don't know which ones he went to.
I am sure you can find a web site with a list of them somewhere on the internet if you google it. Good luck!