Please sign in to post.

1st or 2nd Class

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the train from Milan to Varenna-Esino? I know the difference in price is about 3 Euros but what is the difference in service, etc. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
143 posts

The differences between first and second class on Italian trains are: 1) in first your seat is reserved, in second it's "general admission" (pick your own), 2) there is a bit more room in first (though not much) and a fold up table between seats (in both first and second class there is a row of seats facing you, 3) in first there is an attendent who serves you a drink (juice, water) and offers you a magazine/newspaper (Italian language publication). Anecdotally, passengers in first class tend to be Italian businessmen/women and foreign tourists, second class tourists on a budget and Italians traveling for fun. Not much difference between the two, but sometimes I do first class as a sort of a splurge (since I cant afford it on a plane!).

Posted by
122 posts

The trains between Milan and Varenna are regional trains and there is little difference between 1st and 2nd class. Only on the trains such as Italy's Eurostar do you get a free drink in first class. Even in second class, a lot of trains require a
reservation

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you Thomas and William for your replies!

Posted by
23245 posts

You can reserve seats in second class and sometimes are required to do so. We see little difference between 1st and 2nd almost always do 2nd class.

Posted by
12172 posts

I always go second class unless on business (being paid for by someone else). I also travel sans reservations unless on business (because that's the only time I have to meet a set schedule).

Posted by
223 posts

they didn't bother to give us a drink on the 1st class Eurostar last week to Venice...so don't pick it for that ;-) we went 2nd class from Rome to Florence and it was fine (reserved Eurostar) - very crowded becasue of Easter...went 1st from Florence to Venice and didn't really notice any difference - actually, our 1st class car had less luggage space (!) and the very nicest one we took was a Eurostar from Venice to Milan...2nd class...but was anewish car and very empty (i.e the three of us had all four seats). all were arranged 2 accross from 2 with a table in between. I DO recommend resetrvations though...SO much more relaxing than scrmbling to try and get seats!! (and I've stood on too many trains in the past)