Please sign in to post.

13 Nights in Italy - Rome to Venice- How's my iitinerary?

Hello fellow travelers, I'm surprising my wife with a trip to Italy for her graduation present and was looking to get some input on my tentative itinerary as it's though not getting hers. : ) We will arrive in Rome on 5/13 at 8:00 a.m. and leave from Venice on 5/26. This is what I have planned so far: 5/13 arrive in Rome Rome 4 nights Travel to Cinque Terra on 5/17 Cinque Terra (Riomaggiore) 3 nights Travel to Pisa on 5/20 (train stops there anyways in route to Florence) Explore Pisa for a couple hours then travel to Lucca same day Lucca 1 night (it's a Sunday) Travel to Florence 5/21 Florence 3 nights Travel to Venice 5/24 Venice 2 nights
Go home 5/26 I'm trying to be efficient as possible with travel times to maximize my time in each place. Any thoughts on the itinerary? I really want to check out Siena and the Chianti region but it seems a bit out of the way with my itinerary and I understand I can't do it all. Any comparisons between Lucca and Sienna? Should I skip Lucca? Maybe spend one night in Lucca and one in Sienna and only two in Florence? Maybe I should lose a day in CT to have an extra day in Tuscany? Do I have enough time in Venice? Any advice would be much appreciated. My wife and I are both 31 and relatively active if that helps. We both like art but I definitely don't think we will want to spend a ton of our time in museums. Thanks! Thomas

Posted by
3940 posts

I think it looks good - now, don't get me wrong, I love Cinque Terre, spent 2 nights there and will do it again this year, but if you need to squeeze a night into another spot, you could do 2 nights in CT (personally, I would do 3 nights in Venice and 2 in CT, but I am absolutely in love with Venice, so I could be biased...but you can spend a whole day visiting Murano/Burano/Torcello). But it looks great and hope your wife loves it! (we only had 1 night our 1st time in Venice, the 2nd time we did 3 nights, this time we are spending 2)