Please sign in to post.

amsterdam lodging

can someone advise me on economical good lodging in amsterdam for me and my daughter.

Posted by
2788 posts

Have you read Rick Steves' book on Amsterdam. I used it last summer (2007) when staying in Amsterdam and found it accurate and helpful. Just remember how the exchange rate (dollars to Euros) has changed since the book was published to adjust for current prices and budgeting.

Posted by
316 posts

Have you considered staying in Haarlem? It's quieter and cheaper. The difference in the cost of the room more than makes up for the price of a railway ticket into Amsterdam.If you are planning to visit areas other than Amsterdam,you'll be taking either a train or a bus anyway and Haarlem is only about 15 minutes away. I stayed there in October and I enjoyed the quiet at the end of the day.I stayed in a hotel on the square. So much is within just a couple of minutes walk.The cathedral, which has organ concerts, and McDonalds (if your daughter is younger she'll enjoy seeing the difference between a McD here and in Europe)are both on the square.A movie theater is nearby and so are several great restaurants If I were to go again, I'd do the same thing.

Posted by
711 posts

We like the Hotel Fita and the Hotel Wieckmann. Prices in Amsterdam are much higher now with the euro, than they were when they had the guilder. Hotels we stayed at in the 1990's are 4 to 5 times the price they were then, Whee.