Please sign in to post.

Rome to Orvieto

I will be flying into Rome and then renting a car to tour the Tuscany region.
Does it make sense to pick up the car at the airport in Rome or take a train to Orvieto and rent a car there? If taking a train, is it easy to make connections from the airport?

Posted by
7887 posts

Another thing to consider is how long you might be in Orvieto. If you are staying even two nights, by picking your car up there you save two days of Car, Insurance, and Parking for just under 20 Euro of train tickets per person.

Posted by
831 posts

Donna,
I think the point of training to Orvieto is to avoid driving while jetlagged. If you don't know how jetlag affacts you don't plan on long drives. Training to Orvieto is easy, stay the night then pickup a car the next morning.
If you know jetlag doesn't affect you pick up the car at the airport and enjoy.

Posted by
13 posts

I think I would suggest waiting until you get to Orvieto. Orvieto is definitely not a driving type of town, having a car parked somewhere would just consume extra money. Rather, you could spend some time in the town, then rent your vehicle.

Posted by
689 posts

You would want a car in Orvieto if you want to explore the beautiful country outside the town.

If you rent the car in Rome, drive north from the airport along the coast. The cut through the hills on one of the smaller roads - avoiding the Autostrada. It is a gorgeous drive!!!