Please sign in to post.

When is

My friend and I are taking a 23 day tour of Italy and are debating when to go. We were going to go in November (cheaper tickets/hotel room/less crowds) but are considering Spring instead 2009. Rick states that May is considered peak time in Italy. Could we go perhaps in March or April and still get less crowds, decent weather and good deals? Thanks!

Posted by
100 posts

Tami,
My husband and I were in Florence Italy last Feb (Valentines Day week) and we couldn't have picked a better time. The weather was actually very nice, around 50 and there were no crowds. We were able to walk right in to all the museums. I would highly suggest this time of year!

Amanda Skelton

Posted by
9109 posts

I just returned from Italy last week. The weather in both Milan and Venice was freezing cold; temperatures ranged from 25-30 degrees. Keep in mind that Rome is about the same latitude as New York and Venice/Milan is more northerly than Halifax, NS. There very few crowds, mostly Italian school children on overnight field trips. Hotel prices were much lower than the summer peak season and I only paid $300 RT from Newark to Milan. It all depends on what you value more warm weather/higher prices, or colder temperature, fewer crows, lower prices.