Please sign in to post.

italy train tickets

We will be traveling by train the end of July/beginning of August from Milan to Venice on a late Sunday PM, Venice to Florence late weekday PM, Florenece to Rome late weekday PM and Rome to Naples on a Monday AM. What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying our tickets directly from Trenitalia in advance. Also we have 6 in our group. Is there a way to buy more than 6 tickets or should I buy them in groups of 2 and 4 since it does not seem the reservation form allows a group of 6?

Posted by
6898 posts

The www.trenitalia.com site will not sell tickets for a group larger than than 5 passengers. If you all want to sit together, you might do some advance planning and purchase early. I don't think Trenitalia will sell tickets beyond 90 days out.

Posted by
23585 posts

There is little advantage to purchasing early -- some small discounts. There are many trains and lots of seats. I would purchase the ticket the first day you arrive in Milan.

Posted by
486 posts

Look for Amica (20% discount) fares available for advance purchase. They are limited availability so as soon as you know the specific train you want, go for it.

Ordering separately might get you separated so do one of two things
1) Order the 4 before the 2 and for the 2, list the desired car/seats near the 4 when ordering from the web site.
2) Call and see if you get an English speaking person who can help you get seats together instead of using web site.
3) Use an agency in your first city which doesn't charge a fee or buy at any station as they will work to try and get you seats together.