Please sign in to post.

Train travel

I am traveling to Italy during the last three weeks in June with my husband and 12 yr old daughter. We plan to use the trains to get from city to city. Do we need to make reservations now from states, or can we wait until we arrive and reserve a few days in advance?

Posted by
81 posts

You can go to the ticket office at the train station to see what trains go where and when, and purchase from the clerk, including any reservations and fees that you need. You can also purchase tickets from vending machines, whichresemble ATMs. They are pale blue-green and display circular flags on the opening page so you can select which language to work in. Pay by credit or debit card--the machine spits out a ticket showing which car(carrozza)number and seat or compartment you belong in. Unlike the ticket office, the machines are always open!

Posted by
423 posts

I arrived in Rome and went directly to the Trenitalia office at the airport and purchased all my tickets for the 4 trains I was planning to take. It worked perfectly. I have one train trip left and then I will return to the US.