Please sign in to post.

Getting to the Airport...

We are departing from Rome Fiumicino at 8:15 AM to return home to the States. I know RS says there is a "Leonardo Express" train connecting Termini and the airport that begins running around 6:00 AM. We are on a tight budget and would really like to avoid a 40 Euro taxi ride (especially at $1.50/Euro!).

So...what seems to be the best option? Should we try to go early in the morning or go the night before and camp out at the airport? Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted by
87 posts

I agree with Kent et al...you are cutting it way too close. My flight leaves at 8:00 and I'm not even considering the express train as an option. I fly in and out of FCO relatively frequently and it seems to either run things very smoothly or in pure chaos. If you are running late and hit the latter you won't make your flight. It's worth the cab fare to ensure that you will make it. Another option is to look into early morning shuttles, but these may be just as much as getting a cab.

Posted by
208 posts

My hotel set up a shuttle for me from my hotel. It cost me about 23 Euros. My flight left at 8am and the shuttle picked me up at 4am. They picked up 3 other people and then took me to the airport. I was going to try to to take the train but it would have been cutting it way way too close.

Posted by
1589 posts

It's a 35 minute train ride to the airport from Termini.

Posted by
6898 posts

Take the Leonaro Express. It runs every 30 minutes and costs just a few euro. CLICK HERE to see Trenitalia's web page on this express train.

Posted by
21 posts

I am in Rome right now also, heading back to the states on Wednesday. I plan on taking the Leonardo Express. I beleive its 11 euros from termini to the airport. Not sure how far from Termini you are, but I will have to pay the 1 euro metro from colloseo to termini and then the Leo express fee.

Posted by
241 posts

Agree with Kent. The most recent thing (perhaps it has been in place awhile already) is cutting off check-ins an hour before departure. That, plus normal delays, means check in at least an hour and a half, preferably two, for an overseas departure.

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Laura,
I agree with the other posters here, you're cutting it too close if your flight leaves at 8.15. When in Europe, Mmst airlines tell you to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of European flights, and 3 hours for International. Good luck!

Posted by
16 posts

How about sleeping at the airport? Has anyone tried it?

I read reviews at sleepingatairports.com, and they seemed favorable enough :)

Posted by
2335 posts

Two years ago it took over an hour just to check in at FCO. I wouldn't risk it. Consider the 40 euro taxi is cheaper than an overnight at a hotel by the airport, or missing your flight and paying for another hotel night/food in Roma. Also, if you use a shuttle van, make sure the hotel considers them reliable - a couple at my hotel waited for more than an hour for their late van and ended up paying for a taxi because they were cutting it close.

Posted by
139 posts

You say you are departing from Rome. Not sure if you are staying in Rome the nights preceeding your departure. We are starting in Rome and ending in Tuscany. We also have an 8 something departure. So I am traveling in from Tuscany at end of day and spending night in hotel 5 minutes from airport. Marriott Courtyard. Something to consider.