Please sign in to post.

12 nights in Italy

Doing some preliminary planning for next October. We will have about 12 nights to spend in Italy. We've already seen northern Italy (Venice, Verona, Italian Lakes) and absolutely loved it. Now we want to focus on southern Italy.

There are 4 of us, including one in a wheelchair. Our interests include beautiful scenery/architecture, vibrant culture, lively and charming atmosphere, and good food. We aren't big into museums. We will visit the biggest ones but only need to see the highlights.

Would like to do the following regions:
-Tuscany (Florence, Siena, Tuscan Hill Towns) (2 nights in Florence, 2-3 in Tuscan hill towns)
-Rome (not too excited about Rome but seems like a crime to skip it since we'll be in the vicinity) (3 nights)
-Amalfi Coast (4-5 nights)

We'll be starting our vacation in Spain and flying from either Seville or Barcelona to Italy. Would it be best to fly into Florence, Rome, or Pisa? Which airport do you think would be the most equipped for handling a power wheelchair?

Depending on where we fly into, I'm thinking something like this:
-Fly into Rome, rent a van, and drive through Umbria/Tuscany. Can you recommend a great agriturismo somewhere in Tuscany? We'd like to spend a night or two (or three) in the beautiful Tuscan hillside. We'll visit Siena (maybe spend a night?). Would love to hear your opinions on the best way to spend our time in this region. Return our van in Florence, and spend 2 nights in Florence.

-Take the morning train from Florence to Naples. Explore Naples for the day before heading to our base in either Sorrento or Positano. Which would you suggest? Spend 4-5 nights. Take day trips to Pompeii, Amalfi Coast bus ride, and maybe Capri. Anything else we shouldn't miss in this region?

-Take the morning train from Naples to Rome. Spend 3 nights. Fly home from Rome.

The above plan probably isn't the most efficient use of our time. It'd be nice to fly from Sevillle/Barcelona to Pisa. Visit the Leaning Tower and take the bus to Lucca. Then take the train to Florence. Would probably need 3 nights in Florence as we wouldn't get there until late the first night. Is Pisa/Lucca worth the extra effort? Do you think Pisa airport would be equipped to handle a power wheelchair?

If we fly into Pisa, then we'd rent our van in Florence and drive through Tuscany/Umbria. Return the van in Rome (at the train station) and take the train from Rome to Naples. Then return to Rome for the last 3 nights. It'd probably be more efficient to end in Naples (instead of Rome) but I worry about flying international out of Naples. I'm sure Rome airport is much larger and it seems like it'd be easier for them to deal with the wheelchair.

Would love to hear your opinions/suggestions!

Posted by
1501 posts

Since you mentioned the wheelchair, I'll advise that the Amalfi Coast can be difficult with a chair. Better to stay in Sorrento.
Florence is a nice, flat city, and easy to maneuver. Since you're not "into" museums, I'd suggest just going to the Accademia which can be done in an hour or so, and has the original "David" as well as Michelangelo's unfinished works and a beautiful display of ancient musical instruments. Skip the Ufuzzi if you aren't into museums. Instead, sit in the Piazzas and enjoy the fountains and the food. Siena can be done as a day trip from Florence, if you decide to stay in Florence as opposed to an agriturismo.

I've not yet been to Pisa or Lucca (except to depart from the Pisa airport once, which was WONDERFUL as opposed to the Chaos in Rome).

You can check Trip Advisor for Agriturismos near Siena or Florence. Just make sure they're accessible.

Posted by
11613 posts

Pisa and Lucca are flat. A power wheelchair may be able to get to the wall in Lucca from some of the gentler access slopes.

Posted by
4105 posts

You could fly into Florence and out of Naples. All airports are very manageable and Handicap accessible. Pick your van up in Florence, drive to Lucca then down to Tuscany, drive to Rome drop at Tiburtina station. Do not worry about flying out of Naples, I would much rather fly out of there than Rome anyday! Just make sure you book an early afternoon flight. Lufthsana flies out around noon.

http://www.pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_91.html Really doesn't make sense for your intended locations.

http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/passengers/service/special-assistance.html

http://www.naples-airport.info/facilities/

You will have to change planes however in Amsterdam,( Delta, KLM) Frankfurt or Munich (United, Lufthsana)

Posted by
15582 posts

The wheelchair . . . My memories of Siena are of very steep streets and numerous stairs. Pompeii is hard for the able-bodied to walk - many streets have huge ruts and very uneven cobblestones. As I recall, Ostia Antica's streets were pretty even. That might be an alternative as a day trip from Rome.

May I suggest Bologna? It's flat and from there you can go to Ravenna, though I can't remember if you'd have to do a flight of stairs in one direction at the train station there. Ryanair flies between Seville and Bologna. Ferrara and Padua are convenient to Bologna, though I don't know how flat they are. Bologna, without major tourist sights, may be right up your alley. There are hundreds of foreign students, so there's an interesting atmosphere, and great food. I really loved just walking around, very picturesque.

There is more to Rome than museums. Rick Steves has two interesting audio guides, one for the Jewish Ghetto and one for the Trastevere area, for instance.

Posted by
107 posts

As far as your sequence goes, let me suggest landing in Pisa, taking the train to Lucca, continuing to Florence, using Florence as a base for day trips to Siena and San Gimigano, taking a train to Rome, and then heading towards the coast. If you do this, you can skip the van as long as trains and busses work with the wheel chair.
I don't know the Amalfi Coast at all, but I want to recommend Lucca highly. First of all, it's very Italian, as opposed to Florence or Rome. Very compact also, and very flat if I remember it correctly. What I like about Lucca is that everything is re-used Roman and Medieval and Renaissance buildings. There's hardly a new building anywhere. And it still has its old walls and they are very accessible. The walls surround the entire city and there are cute restaurants on the parapets. You will have a great time strolling along the walls on the flat pathway and seeing the city from an elevated viewpoint. I'd recommend being there on a weekend if possible because it will be at its liveliest then. We stayed at the San Frediano Hostel which is very inexpensive and has nice private suites. It's very close to the old Roman amphitheatre.
Florence is also relatively flat; it's in the floodplain of the Arno. It's very compact also. You can easily go from one side of the city to the other in an hour and almost everything you want to see is included withing the old walls. Two very good markets.
Siena is another city dear to my heart. The art is nowhere as good as Florence, but it seems that's not too important to you. The Campo in Siena is one of the premier plazas in the world. Get some paninis and San Pelligrino and have lunch on the Campo! There's more up and down there perhaps, but I remember the main city as being relatively flat. It's also a very Italian place; even the McDonald's! Weekends are best and I think the open air market runs continuosly.

For a hill town experience, let me recommend San Gimignano. There are a lot of tower houses there and other preserved artifacts. Not too steep, but there is some up and down. Good for a day trip from Florence.
Enjoy your trip!