Please sign in to post.

12 days in Sicily June 2018

Working on trip planning for 12 Days in Sicily. Traveling alone, early June. Flying into Catania out of Palermo. I will rent a car. I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to break it up into regions. Stay in one place for several days and day trip with the car to surrounding areas, then move on. Any thoughts on this ? What areas would it make sense to make as home base for a few days? Thanks for the input.

Posted by
7049 posts

I think it's inevitable that you'll need to set up several bases, but that number (and their location) should be driven by your interests and what you want to see in Sicily. I would start with doing some research, getting your priorities on paper, and then building an itinerary from there. I would also check what the rental car drop off fee is between Catania and Palermo. In worst case, it's not hard although a bit slower to use public transit on the island (it can be done, I've done it).

Siracusa makes a great base for seeing some of the baroque towns in the Val di Noto in south-eastern Sicily, so I would recommend making it at least one of your overnight bases. Another base would have to be somewhere near Palermo because you're flying out of there. So that's already two bases.

This is a good website to get ideas (just ignore all the advertising). I also used the Lonely Planet and National Geographic books.
http://www.bestofsicily.com/top12.htm
http://www.bestofsicily.com/roadmap.htm

Posted by
3150 posts

For some great ideas, take a look at the itinerary for Rick’s Sicily Tours. You’d be starting from Catania instead of Palermo. I’ve been to Sicily twice. First time was solo with a car, second time last November on the tour. On the first trip I followed the tour route at the time which included Cefalu, Piazza Armerina and Taormina. While in Catania, I took the road up Mt. Etna and then circumnavigated the volcano stopping in some small towns around its base.

The route of the “off season” tour I took visited Ragusa (2 nights) and short visits to Modica and Scicli The current tours go to Taormina instead. A few people on the tour had visited Taormina before and we all agreed that the Ragusa-Modica-Scicli was the better option. Same opinion for those who visited Cefalu. If you visit the Villa Romana, consider spending a night in Piazza Armerina. It’s a relaxing small town where I had the best antipasti caldo I’ve ever eaten.

If I were to take your trip, after arriving in Catania I would take the bus from the airport to Siracusa and would stay on the island of Ortigia; visit the market and make sure you get a sandwich at Borderi. I would then take the train to Catania. I would pick up the car when leaving Catania, tour the island and return the car as I arrived in Palermo. You do not want to have a car in Palermo. Visit Monreale before arriving in Palermo.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for the good advice. I've spent considerable time on the main land of Italy, but first time to Sicily. I just don't feel as confident planning my trip on Sicily, maybe because Rick does not have a book that covers it and I have always relied on his books.

Posted by
7049 posts

I just don't feel as confident planning my trip on Sicily

Honestly, it's just as easy as the mainland. You don't need a Rick Steves book, there are good substitutes (hit your local library first - I used some books that were years old and it made no difference). Lonely Planet had enough detail for me and I also looked up some Italian websites for better town maps. The trains are slow but buses work fine (in case you ditch the car rental idea). It shouldn't be hard to plan this trip at all. Sicily is much more laid back than anywhere I've been to in Italy, and there was little traffic between the towns in the southeastern part where I went. I wouldn't hesitate to drive there but parking/driving was a mess in the cities. Good luck!

Posted by
26840 posts

I missed having RS to hold my hand on logistical issues in Sicily, but it really wasn't that hard to get around using an alternative guidebook and info obtained from local tourist offices. And I didn't learn about the BestOfSicily.com website until after my 2015 trip.

Just remember that attempting to move from town to town on a Sunday or holiday is risky. There is very little bus service then, so you may have to plan for a trip by train if not staying put.