Please sign in to post.

12 days in Italy

In two months we will be departing for Italy. While my husband and I have booked the begining and end of our trip the middle is still a little vague. Just thought I might throw out our possible itenary and see if any of you have any suggestions. Arrive in Rome in the evening spend three nights , Leave on the fourth day bus or train for Orvietto for one night, travel by bus or train to Siena spend two nights, off to Florence by bus or train for two nights, three nights in Cinque Terre (Vernazza) and train to Milan over night before departing for London for three days. What say you wizened travelers... does it sound doable without being to rushed? Any suggestions of places we must eat or stay in?
I'm sure I am asking too much but love to hear about the highlights of peoples trips... it heightens the excitement!

Posted by
3250 posts

Here are a couple of suggestions--you might enjoy staying in one place for 3 nights after you leave Orvieto. You could combine Siena and Florence and spend 3 nights in one or the other and take the bus as a day trip to the other. I liked staying in Siena and taking a day trip to Florence but the other way around is o.k. too.

You might also take a night from Cinque Terre and add it to Orvieto. You'd have:

Rome 3 nights

Orvieto 2 nights

Siena or Florence 3 nights

Cinque Terre 2 nights

Milan 1 night.

Have a great time!

Posted by
306 posts

looks great, but no need for an overnight train to Milan. Milan is only 3 hours from CT. Just catch an early train in the morning.

Posted by
719 posts

All of it looks good, although I'd take a CT night, and spend it in Orvieto. I'm a huge fan of spending at least 2 nights in each stay. This way you can wake up without a rush and spend an entire day, then sleep in the same town without going anywhere. Plus, after the midday tourist rush, Tuscan (or Umbrian) towns come to life as the locals cautiously come out of hiding. Besides, 2 nights is plenty is CT. Otherwise, all looks good. Have fun.

Posted by
719 posts

I should also remind you: be flexible. Although I usually abide by the 2 night minimum rule, if you absolutely fall in love with a place, or it really lets you down, stay an extra night or move on. During the time of year of your visit, you have that flexibility. As long as your in Milan for your London departure, all is well. Ciao!