Please sign in to post.

12 day Sicily tour 2009

Nothing was mentioned of airfare. Is it included in the price? If not, do you tell us how to book to start in Taormina? Thanks.

Juliane

Posted by
32171 posts

Juliane,

I'm assuming you're referring to the RS Sicily Tour? No, airfare is not included in the price (as is the case with all RS Tours). Due to the fact that tour members come from all over the U.S. and Canada, it would be virtually impossible to include the cost of airfare in the tour cost.

I can't tell you specifically "how to book to start in Taormina", as your flight options will be different than mine (although we're both travelling from the west coast). You could start by checking some of the on-line sites such as Expedia, Travelocity or others OR you could speak with a Travel Agent in your area. I'm sure some of the group here will also have some suggestions for you.

I've looked at that tour and will probably sign up for one in the near future. I've already done a bit of research on flights for Sicily and have several choices. One possibility is Air Canada direct to Catania via Frankfurt (a partner airline is used for the flight from Frankfurt to Catania). Since it's a "code share" arrangement through Star Alliance, my luggage will follow me to the final destination. My other option is to use Air Transat to perhaps Frankfurt or Rome, and then take a budget flight from there to Catania (with that method I will probably have to collect my luggage in Frankfurt / Rome and then re-check this for the flight to Sicily).

You'll receive information with your RS tour package describing the best way to get to Taormina from the airport in Catania. At the end of the tour (Palermo, I believe) you'll be able to easily get flights to various parts of Europe to connect with flights home.

Happy travels!

Posted by
3112 posts

I took the Sicily tour in 2006 when the itinerary was different. Ken is correct that airfare is not included. I purchased a round trip ticket to Rome and booked a separate ticket on Air One to Sicily. Air One flys between Rome and both Catania (closest to Taormina) and Palermo, so it's a very convenient option. Their prices are good and they run great specials from time to time. You'll need to change terminals in Rome, but that's easy. My routing allowed me to spend a couple of days in Rome before the tour began - something to consider.