Please sign in to post.

parking in Florence

Due to some bad planning on my part, we will have a car during our two-day trip to florence yet are staying in the pedestrianized city center. The hotel garage is 35 euro a night and I would like to avoid paying 70 euros for parking if at all possible. Not having a car is not an option at this point. Does anyone know of any parking lots or garages outside of the city center where I could park for a more reasonable cost and then take the train or bus into the center? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
6898 posts

Kim, I would suggest looking into parking at the Amerigo Vespucci airport (about 7 miles away) and taking a bus into the main train station. I haven't done this but its better than trying to park in Florence itself.

Posted by
486 posts

Kim,

Florence, like some other Italian cities now restricts traffic in certain zones. Cameras record your plate number and many months later you get notice of a ticket in the mail or a charge from the rental company on your CC. So could be worse than just a parking fee you have to pay.

Do a search here for "restricted" "Florence" for more info.

Posted by
6898 posts

It's much more than just parking. The computerized cameras can get you as you drive through a restricted area.

Posted by
12172 posts

Having had a car in Florence and parking in a garage far from our centrally located hotel, the best idea I've heard yet is find a train or bus station outside of town with relatively safe parking and either pick a hotel near there or park your car there while you're in town. The farther your parking spot is from downtown, the more likely it will be cheap or free.