Please sign in to post.

Rail pass or point-to-point?

My itinerary includes a fair amount of travelling: Milan - CT - Florence - Siena - Sorrento - Rome.

Does it make the most sense to buy a Italy Railpass for 5 days in a two month period? Or would point to point tickets be a better choice?

With the poor value of the dollar and the student discount I could get on a railpass, I think the two choices are just about even, but any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

Laura, point-to-point may be slightly less expensive. As a youth, you can get the 5 day/2 month Eurail pass for $219. The pass does not cover reservation and supplemental fees which could add 30% to this cost.

For Point-to-Point, Milan to the CT is 21.30Euro ($32). The CT to Florence is 15.10Euro ($23). Florence to Siena is 10Euro ($15). Siena to Naples is 34.90Euro ($53) plus the fare on the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento. Naples back to Rome is 19.50Euro ($30) plus the Circumvesuviana fare to Naples from Sorrento.

Aside from daily town-to-town trains in the CT, for which you should not waste your 5-day pass and costs on the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and back, your looking at about $153. This is based on 2nd class standard fare. If you can buy your tickets no later than the day before travel, you could get the "Amica" fares which are 20% lower. That's about $123. Point-to-point is better.