Please sign in to post.

when to book hotel

Hi everybody,
My mom and sister and I are planning a trip to Europe in late August/early September. How far in advance should we book a room in Rome, Venice, and CT for early September? We're looking in the cheapo range, if that helps :)
-K

Posted by
43 posts

Kent when you say expensive what are we talking for clean with a private bathroom in smll hotel not a 5 star place?

Posted by
110 posts

I would book ASAP, especially if price is an issue. We are going to Italy in Mid-August and needed hotels in Rome, Venice, Florence, Lucca and Siena. Price is an issue for us, but I also wanted/needed a place that was in good location, had air condition, and had a private bath. We found places, but it took awhile to determine what was our best options. Venice was particularly challenging (most of the places were already booked). Since price is an issue, I would book as soon as you can. Also, it sometimes takes a couple of days for a hotel to respond to your requests.

Posted by
10 posts

Wow thank you for your replies, I would never have guessed that places could be full already, more than six months in advance. Well, I guess it's time to get our itinerary down.

Posted by
100 posts

Hi Kim,

Although it seems too soon, you'd be surprised how many people are on top of things that far out-in addition, I would imagine the summer is a popular time so the sooner the better. I booked hotels in Italy six months in advance recently and two of the hotels told me I was getting their last room. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
1232 posts

I agree with everyone who says book early! I started in Jan. for a May trip to Venice, CT, Lake Como, and had a hard time.

Posted by
3313 posts

Venice can fill very early when there are major events occurring. You might want to check if your planned dates coincide with the Venice Film Festival. But if you plan ahead, you can find places at reasonable rates (meaning 80-100 Euros). And do you insist on a bathroom in the room? Hotels with shared bathrooms can save you a lot of money.

Posted by
10 posts

I don't really care if there's a bathroom in the room: we're open to hostels. I just want a decent bed in a place where I feel safe, preferably not too far or difficult to get to the sights.

Posted by
100 posts

Kim, my husband and I will be in Italy for two weeks at the end of September-beginning of October. I've spent the last month and a half searching for "good deals" and finally finished all reservations the othee day! GET RESERVED NOW! Venice was first, like a month ago and already our last of 4 nights will be in a different room, because "ours" was booked already when we added another night. (Hotel Montenigo 125 euro). Florence was fine 75 euro for center of city w/private bath across hall. Also was fine in CT. Rome found a great B&B in Navonna central for 100euro(Luciano Pascuccii), but again, last night we are in his "other room." He told us that he already had bookings for December when I remarked that I was surprised.....There's a wealth of info on places on TripAdvisor too.

Posted by
3313 posts

You might look at the Hotel Santa Lucia. Very reasonable rates, very clean but shared bathrooms. It has air conditioning.