Please sign in to post.

Is this itinerary too ambitious?

Day 1: Arrive in Rome, tour Vatican etc.
Day 2: Rome, Colluseum, Forum, Spanish Steps etc.
Day 3: Train to Vernazza (11:46am - 4:21pm)
Day 4: Hike CT
Day 5: Train to Florence (10:34-2:03). Rent car, Drive to Montalcino.
Day 6: Visit wineries
Day 7: Free day in Montalcino area.
Day 8: Drive to Florence in the am. Return car. Walk around city. Train to Venice (4:38-7:17pm)
Day 9: Venice
Day 10: Venice
Day 11: Fly home

Posted by
2337 posts

My two cents: don't go to the Vatican the day you arrive. Way too overwhelming on a good, refreshed, non-jet lagged day. Switch it with your day 2 plans. Also, unless you're a wine fanatic, you might consider spending a little more time in Florence other than the day you pick up car and drop off car.

Posted by
689 posts

To answer the question in your topic - yes. too ambitious! The day you arrive you won't want to go to the Vatican! You will be recouperating from the journey - unless you are already in Europe and adjusted.

Your itinerary doesn't give you any time to actually BE in anyplace except CT, Montalcino, and a tease of Venice.

But if that is what you are after - go for it...

Posted by
59 posts

Good point about Rome! Maybe we will add a day there (3 nights Rome, 2 nights CT, 3 nights Montalcino, 3 nights Venice)...

Posted by
479 posts

Julia, I must beg to disagree with Sally. It all depends on what YOU want to get out of the trip that YOU are paying for. If you're just looking to basically see the major sights of Rome and Florence without spending a ton of time there then this itinerary is VERY doable.

I will say that it all depends on what time of year that you're wanting to go. If you are going in the middle of the summer then you can plan on almost an entire day of waiting in line to see the Sistine Chapel and a lot of the Florence sights (unless you're there 30 min before they open, of course). If you're going in the off season then you'll be fine.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks for your responses. We plan to go in Mid October. Also, we will arrive in Rome at 8am.

Posted by
12172 posts

At Vatican - Big lines and a ton to see. Don't think of it as something you can breeze through.

After a flight, I like outdoor activity to stay awake.

Posted by
135 posts

You asked-
Rome day 1, do the forum, coliseum, piazza spagna, include borghese museum; day 2 do St. Peter's, and the Vatican museum; day 3 train to chiusi, rent car, drive to montalcino; day 4, wine and Montalcino; day 5, drive to florence, drop off car, spend night in florence; day 6 train to vernazza, spend night; day 7 hike the CT; day 8 train from La spezia to venezia; day 9 and 10, venezia;
Would I do all of that, in that short a time? On my first trip, yep; but I'm a lot older now, and prefer to savor my days in Italy; good luck!

Posted by
64 posts

Also be sure that you'll be able to get those train tickets. Some times change or the trains may be unavailable. Just be sure that there are other things you can see/do if you end up losing half a day here or there (unless you plan on buying tickets here, which I would not recommend). Everything else looks good, albeit a bit fast for my own traveling pace. But like others have said, enjoy your time there, however slow or rushed, you like it.

Posted by
4555 posts

For the time available, you'll get a good taste of Italy to whet your appetite for another trip. Since your schedule is tight, I would suggest you DO purchase your train tickets over the web before you go, to ensure you can stick to your schedule. Go to www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html and register now, making sure you get your password via return e-mail. Then, when trenitalia's 60-day booking window opens, buy your tickets. This way, you can also save up to 20 per cent if the Amica fares are available. With these e-tickets, there's no need to validate before getting on the train...find your seats, and show the conductor your e-ticket. He/she will punch it up on a little PDA and run off a tiny receipt for you.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks everyone! We will definitely switch the Vatican to day 2 in Rome. We are also thinking of adding a day to our itinerary...does anyone have a suggestion as to where they would add it?
We were thinking maybe another night in Rome or a night in Florence (after Montalcino and before Venice).

Posted by
4555 posts

Addendum to Florence....great shopping for leather goods, too!

Posted by
64 posts

In regards to buying the train tickets here, I had a TON of trouble using the trenitalia Web site. It kept blocking my credit card, then I would call my bank, have them authorize it, only to be blocked by the Web site again, and repeat. Eventually I went through a "broker" of sorts. Of course I had the train tickets I wanted, but I couldn't change anything on them (even upgrading) once I was in Italy. If you are really concerned about getting particular time points, I'd suggest going to a larger train station (not all stations have the ticket machines available to buy tickets) and buying the train tickets you want right when you get into Rome. That way you save yourself the hassle of a) paying shipping costs to get your train tickets (mine cost $15), b) get the seats that you want and C) maintain the flexibility to change your ticket should you find yourself in the Cinque Terre and unwilling to leave it so quickly...

Just my two cents.

Posted by
64 posts

On another note... also check to see in the RS book to make sure the museums, etc are open on the actual days you want to go, or if there is a less busy day you can see everything. Nothing worse than wanting to go see the David and realizing it's closed that day - especially since you saved it for the last day in that town.

Posted by
3 posts

I know others may fight me on it, but if you are looking for another day, Venice doesn't necessarily 'need' two days. We had planned 2 full days and ended up doing only one and heading back to Rome early. If it is a place you want to just relax, go for it, but if you are looking to not be so rushed in other places you can definitely see all you need of Venice in a day.

Posted by
16 posts

Your schedule looks doable, but tight to me. Flip-flop days one and two. While near Montalcino, find Antico Paggio. Best lunch I have had anywhere (not cheap, but molto excellente). They have a website. Visit Murano when you are in Venice.