Please sign in to post.

crowds

I saw the video of Trevi Fountain someone sent me.. It looks very crowded.. Is it always so crowded even in Sept? I planned this trip for Sept to avoid crowds.. I recommend people do the same that are visiting Disney World in my area Michelle

Posted by
7010 posts

Popular sites like the Trevi fountain always have crowds. Sept will be a little less than mid-summer but not all that much, it's a popular month to travel to Europe. We were there in Sept and went to the fountain in the evening and the crowds weren't anything like it the video, which it looks like was filmed in high summer in mid-day. Best way to avoid crowds at places like this are to go early morning or late afternoon/evening. Don't let the idea of crowds get you down. Do your best to avoid the worst times of day. My memories of all my trips to Europe do not include how bad the crowds were but how wonderful the places I went were.

Posted by
1540 posts

Yes, it is very crowded. I've even been there at 10:00PM and it was crowded. Just be patient and be sure to toss some coins over your shoulder into the fountain.

Posted by
1880 posts

Last time I was there was last week of October and it was packed. It's not just tourists, but locals/teens and even gypsies/foreigners trying selling you stuff, or trying to take your picture and then charge you an outrageous amount just for clicking a button on YOUR camera. As other posters said, just be patient, watch for an open spot, and don't expect to have any sight in Rome to your self, or not crowded, any time of the year ---expect maybe on a holiday like Xmas morning....when nothing is open.

Posted by
32171 posts

Michelle, September is one of the busiest times in the "fall shoulder season" and that's often the time of year that I travel so I've seen what the crowds can be like. I've found that it can be extremely busy at popular sites like the Trevi Fountain and indeed many other parts of Italy. I doubt that you're going to be able to avoid crowds in September. You'll likely be surrounded by a lot of other people who were also hoping to avoid crowds by travelling in September. Cheers!

Posted by
1003 posts

Have been to Rome a number of times during the months of June, July and October. Lots of people in Rome in October! We usually go to Trevi in the evening afer dark. There were not as many people at Trevi F. in October as when I was there this past July. It was jam packed!

Posted by
11247 posts

Our first trip to Rome we went to the Trevi at 07:30 and there were only 3 other people there, plus a couple of Carbinieri. WE took each others' pictures and totally enjoyed being there without the hordes. It's a tactic you might use. You can then seek out a nice cafe for caffè and a cornetto, and move on to the Pantheon at opening which is worth seeing before the world shows up.

Posted by
15560 posts

Been twice in February, and I would describe it as crowded then! It's probably best to go either very early in the morning or very very late at night.

Posted by
5 posts

September is one of the most popular months to visit Rome. Disney biggest audience is families (although there is plenty to for adults to do without children) and September is quiet because kids are in school. Rome is not Disney. Expect big crowds throughout Italy.

Posted by
3940 posts

Yeah - don't take any of the roses from the sellers in the crowd - they give it too you...then won't take it back - they want euros! And seeing the crowds we encountered in mid-Sept (everywhere we've been) I can just imagine how much worse it is in the high summer months. If you want to beat the crowds, try getting up really early and hit it at like 6 or 7 am - this worked for us in Venice - nothing like seeing St Marks, Rialto and the streets pretty much devoid of people. I think there were a whole dozen people in St Marks Sq...we got up early, went out for about 90min, then went back to our B&B for breakfast and shower.

Posted by
23177 posts

Our last night in Rome in mid May was a Monday and our son wanted to swing by the fountain prior to return to the hotel. It was jammed tight at 11pm. It seemed just as crowd as earlier in the day. We have been in Rome about six, seven times for the past few years and don't believe I have ever seen the fountain without a huge crowd. And one time it was completely dry but the crowd didn't seen to notice.

Posted by
11294 posts

September is indeed a peak season month for Italy, not shoulder season. And because of Rome's dinner schedule, 11 PM is not "late" there; everyone is returning from dinner around then, and the center is full of people walking around (Romans as well as visitors). So, if you want to avoid crowds at the Trevi fountain, go before 8 or 9 AM, or after 1 AM or so.

Posted by
1446 posts

We are in Rome right now and visited the Trevi Fountain this afteroon. Yes, it is still very crowded but I would think towards the end of the month, the crowds may wane a little bit. September though is still a very popular month to visit Italy so don't expect it to be as crowd-free as perhaps January. In spite of the crowds, I'm sure you'll still enjoy Italy. We are at the end of a 3-week trip and I'm already thinking about how soon I can return!

Posted by
437 posts

I bet that at sunrise you would be nearly the only one there. It was true at the Eiffel, The Eye, St. Marks Square and more. The sites are not open yet but Trevi is outdoors :-) The Eiffel was crowded at night but not so bad as midday.