Please sign in to post.

11 Days in Italy

We are possibly going to Italy for the first time mid-April for 11 days. I know 11 days aren't enough to see all of what I'd like but I do know that I need to see Rome, Tuscany and Cinque Terre.

We are renting a car when we arrive in Rome and plan on heading North and make our way back to Rome the last few days where we will be headed back out.

Can you tell me if we would have time to make it to Lake Como or Venice as well?

Also, how many days would you spend at location?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Posted by
209 posts

Congratulations on your first trip.
Tuscany is a very large area with many villages and towns. I think you should decide what you want to see and experience in Tuscany before deciding about Venice and Lake Como.

Posted by
4434 posts

It's not likely you can add anything else and still enjoy the things you have selected. First decide how many days YOU need to see what you want to see in Rome (this could anywhere from a day to decades), next flesh out the Tuscany part. To determine how much time you want in CT, look at the park website. Are you interested in hiking or just chilling?
I would drop the car in La Spezia after rural Tuscany, then use train rest of trip.

Your arrival time and what type of flyer you are will determine how much you want to drive on arrival--it's not recommended to drive on windy Tuscan roads after an overnight flight, but there are towns in southern Tuscany within a reasonable distance form airport. Some start with Florence by train. You could also start with CT by train, then pickup car for Tuscany and drop before Rome.

Posted by
6788 posts

Before you do anything else, please count your days again -- carefully. Not including the days you arrive to, or depart from, Europe, how many full days do you really have?

Reason I ask is because many people say "I have an 11 day trip!" and start making a list of places to go, when in fact they are counting the number of days they will be away from home, ignoring the fact that you burn at least a day (sometimes 2) just getting there and another day getting back home. You may really have just 8 or 9 days -- count carefully.

Even if you have 11 full days, that's still pretty short. I would be careful about making a list of places until you know exactly how many days you really have.

Doing all your travel in Italy by car may not be a smart strategy (trains are great and often the most efficient way to get around, although in some areas -- roaming around within Tuscany, for example -- a car may be better). A car in Rome? Not my idea of fun. Also, flying in to Rome and then home from Rome may be a mistake (which you can not afford to make on such a short trip), there may be more efficient flight routings (in to Rome then out from somewhere further north...depends on where you end up going).

Posted by
764 posts

For the sake of transparency, I will tell you that I am a slow traveler, so my views are based on that perspective. I think that you're going to be very hard pressed to complete your Rome, Tuscany and Cinque Terre itinerary in 11 days, especially if you're not counting the day of arrival and departure essentially as a loss. Besides seeing the sites, you have to factor in time for checking in and out your lodgings, eating, picking up and dropping off the car, etc. Even simple stuff like looking for parking or getting misplaced on a map can eat up much more time than you think it will. It all adds up.

Assuming that driving rather than taking public transportation will gain you some time (and I'm not sure that it would -trains are quick and easy in Italy) it would be really hard to accomplish these 3 on even the most superficial level. (Unless you're flying over and looking down on Venice and/or Lake Como, I'd suggest you give up on them entirely for this trip. It's just unrealistic in 11 days.) Have you taken a look at a RS guidebook? Whatever amount of time he suggests, double it at least unless you like the quick-and-dirty touring style. Some people do, and that's ok. Just doing the simple math of adding time time for your must-sees, how many days are needed for that? Many people research each of their intended destinations to determine exactly what they want to do and see, then allocate time for each of those sites and the time consuming details I mentioned earlier. Then they decide how many days to spend in which location. It's really hard to recommend how many days for each not knowing your interests, stamina, and appetite.

It might be best for you to consider a tour or two so that you can maximize your sightseeing time by allowing someone else to handle the logistics. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but I'd hate to see you spend heaps of money only to end up being exhausted and disappointed.

Posted by
6102 posts

Important to know exactly how many NIGHTS you’ll have in Italy

You don’t need or want a car in CT or Rome
Never a good idea to drive right after an overnight flight

Train to Florence, spend 3 nights
Pick up car, explore Tuscany 3 nights
Drop car in La Spezia To CT, spend 2 nights
Train to Rome for remaining 3 nights which is bare minimum needed for Rome

Could work as long as you actually have 11 nights

No time for Venice or Como
Also note Easter holiday week

Car rental is super expensive this year
You could just base in Florence and do day trips into countryside
Siena, Lucca are easy
Lots of guided day tours to chose from as well and you won’t have to worry if you intend to wine taste

Posted by
11193 posts

We are renting a car when we arrive in Rome and plan on heading North

Does this mean you plan on getting off the plane ( after what presumably was an overnight flight) and driving off to you 1st destination, whatever that is? If so, that is near the bottom of the list of 'good ideas'.

11 days-- how many nights are you there?

Doing Rome, CT and 'Tuscany' will be a blitz paced trip; trying to include anywhere as far away as Lake Como or Venice is, how to say this nicely, a really bad option. A car is a liability in Rome and CT. Depending on what "Tuscany' means, a car might be useful.

You could do Rome , Florence and CT, all by train and have a busy trip, but manageable if you accept from the outset it's going to be like 'grazing at Costco', and not a full dinner at a Ruths Chris Steakhouse

Posted by
6788 posts

like 'grazing at Costco', and not a full dinner at a Ruths Chris Steakhouse...

Great expression (and a good analogy).

Posted by
8683 posts

I’m suggesting a different itinerary and a cautionary tale.

3-4 nights Rome.

Train from rail station Station Tiburtina to Florence.

2-3 nights Florence

From Florence train to Milan.

1 night Milan. Pre book visit to see the Last Supper.

Train Milan to Venice

3 nights Venice

Train Venice back to Rome. About 4 hours of travel.

I offer this suggestion because Venice is unique and IMHO ia not miss.

Florence is compact with numerous places to see and enjoy. The view of Florence from the plaza Basilica San Miniato is worth the climb.

Rome is rome. Nothing like walking under the Arch of Titus and seeing the Colosseum.

My cautionary tale is be prepared for the graffiti that is found all over the cities. Oh and DO NOT RENT A CAR. Travel by train is easy and comfortable. Simply remember to validate your tickets.

Posted by
84 posts

Thank you everyone!

Sounds to me that I have a lot more researching to do!

Posted by
4434 posts

I noticed you did not mention Florence in your first post, and I assume you had already determined you were more interested in rural Tuscany--many people say "Florence and Tuscany" when they are interested in both {yes I know Florence is in Tuscany}. So, that is one thing to clarify (for yourself, and of course when you come back for more advice).
Don't be scared of driving in rural Italy--it's a snap and only requires some preparation.
The only hard part is deciding what you have time to see--enjoy the planning!

Posted by
1025 posts

I have been accused of being a dream killer on occasions, but I base my opinions and travel plans on extensive and in-depth research. A trip to Italy of only 11 days makes pre-planning even more critical.

Make a list of the places you want to visit, Rome, Venice, Florence, whatever. Under each city, write out what you most want to see in each city--since this is your first trip, you will need some kind of travel guide. RS has some good ones, but I prefer the Lonely Planet brand since they are more attuned to my style of movement and recreation. Your list may look something like this:

Florence
1. Duomo with Brunelleschi's dome
2. Statue of David in Accademia
3. Uffizi museum
4. Medici tomb (4 more Michelangelo statues
5. Mercato Centrale
6. Florentine Beefsteak
7. Gelato (several world class places)
8. Duomo Museum
9. Pitti Palace and Oltrarno neighborhood
10. Leather shopping

By doing this, you focus on what you want to see. I have never seen Gallileo's finger in the science museum, or the Bernini statue of David. Perhaps someday soon.....

Focus on this mantra, "I will just have to come back another time." Repeat it, embrace it.

I really like Florentine food. Roman food is also good, and Neapolitan cooking is amazing. Find your sweet spot and imagine yourself indulging in your most desirable goals.

When I was younger, I drove around Tuscany. It was, to me, meh. Most driving in Italy takes place on the Autostrade, where you pay for the privilege of speed over scenery. Trains are quicker, and for me are much more desirable because you get to enjoy your glass of vino and your panino as you watch the scenery go by. This isn't a hard and fast rule, because the journey from Florence to Bologna consists of one tunnel after another. Not pleasant, but interesting.

Pencil in time in each city to just be. Nothing beats getting lost in Venice, or spending the evening on a passeggiata, wandering along with the beautiful people while eating an ice cream cone. Cafes are great for mellow people watching and enjoying a pre-prandial drink. Edited to add that most drinks ordered at cafes come with tiny bowls of snacks or pieces of foccacia. Free. Just because you ordered an Aperol Spritz. . These places are part of the experience that is Italy. Watch the tourists snapping selfies while blissfully unaware of the historical tableau just out of camera view.

Realize that many restaurants and bars are tourist traps. A good guidebook will keep you walking to another, much more desirable place to wet your whistle. Canal side dining in Venice gives you decent food but nothing like the world class meals you would hope to enjoy. Guidebooks.

I am biased, but Rome deserves a minimum of 4 to 5 nights. Florence will eat up 3 nights, and Venice is in a class of its own, with 4 nights being the bare minimum. Driving around Tuscany in search of wine tastings will result in your not being able to indulge because of the very low illegal alcohol levels permitted. If you really need to go on hikes, then the Cinque Terre may be your cup of tea. For me, other sites are more appealing. Guidebooks.

Perhaps Lake Como is worth the detour. I live 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe, so it is low on my list of destinations. On the other hand, a world class pizza is easily obtainable from a world class pizzaiolo in Naples as I sit admiring the Bay. Hence my bucket list for my next trip.

If I can offer just one piece of advice, visit a site because YOU want to go there, not because you have heard about the killer views and the great salads. Enjoy your time as a temporary Italian.

Posted by
2967 posts

Can you tell me if we would have time to make it to Lake Como or Venice as well?

Short answer no and the Cinque Terre would be best when you return to IT and fly into Venice and out of Milan. On this trip focus on Tuscany and Rome. Here’s an idea:
If you arrive in Rome late morning, take a direct train from the airport to Florence (2h 30m). If not, you’ll need to take the train to Rome’s Termini station and transfer to Florence’s SM Novella station.
Before COVID you had to guarantee a reservation at the Uffizi Gallery two-months out. To be on the safe side I would book the Uffizi tickets when reserving your hotel / Airbnb in Florence.
I would then take a direct bus from Florence to Siena (1h 15m) and use Siena as my base to explore Tuscany. If renting a car in Florence you’ll need to be savvy on the ZTL zone laws. Siena I’ve read doesn’t have the same issue. Besides, you want to depart Siena on the Sienese Crest Road and drive past Montalcino to Montepulciano. Another nice stop is Pienza’s old town that’s in between but that’s a bit much to do in a day. You do not want to get an early start when driving on the Sienese Crest Road in case it’s foggy.
I would then check out of the hotel / Airbnb in Siena and drive to San Gimignano before continuing on to Volterra and sleep there. When you’re ready to go to Rome drop off your car in Chiusi and take a direct train to Rome’s Termini station. Once in Rome sleep in the Trastevere neighborhood. If not consider sleeping at the nearby Hotel Smeraldo.