Please sign in to post.

train reservations in Italy

I have an 8 day Eurail Pass and will be leaving on September 9. My first train trip will be on Sept.15 from Rome to Venice. Can I safely wait until arrival in Rome to make train reservations for the month?

Posted by
23269 posts

Yes, there is a seat reservation fee you pay with a pass. And, you understand, that a train pass in Italy probably does not save you any money. It does provide some convenience.

Posted by
6898 posts

You'll pay 10Euro extra for each fast train that you will be on.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Claudia. In answer to your question, you could wait. There is a lot of drama about this. If you want to travel in peak times of the day, then yes you should buy them now, as it will guarantee you a seat. If you are not so bothered, then try and buy the reservations at least 24 hours in advance. 2 great websites are slowtrav.com (useful for understanding how the rail system works and tickets and reservations etc.). Also rail europe.com will let you book the reservation tickets-Just make sure you use the 'reservation only' option. Happy holidays!

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you both for your replies! I met with an Adviser at Rick Steves' and he calculated that we would save a little with the Pass. I will try the recommended Res. websites and see if I can navigate them- so far not so much! Ciao!