Please sign in to post.

Packing cubes

I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the packing cubes. I am determined to pack light on my 2 week trip to Italy in September and was curious about using the packing cubes or any other tips others might have. Grazie!
Prem

Posted by
23178 posts

We don't use them but a lot of people swear by them. We use one packing envelope per carryon for the folded items and then two gallon zip lock bags for everything else. A magic marker is used to id each plastic bag so we know what goes where.

Posted by
9110 posts

Cubes add weight, not reduce it. Simple physics.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks, Frank, I appreciate your feedback!

Posted by
8094 posts

It's hard to add much weight when a net travel cube only weighs 1/2 ounce. I use them all the time to keep like items together. I also use one gallon zip lock bags and squeeze all the air out. I'm not above wearing a golf shirt two days or a pair of jeans a week if they don't get soiled. We get our jeans, khaki pants and collared shirts starched at the laundry, and they last so long. We recently returned from a 2 week trip to Nova Scotia, and I didn't even use half the clothes that were in my 20" rolling bag.
And yes, packing cubes work well.

Posted by
1880 posts

I use 3-5 packing cubes for every overseas trip. Shirts go in one, underwear and socks in another, toiletries in a smaller one and other accessories in another (batteries for my camera, USB cords, etc) We used to carry convertible luggage, but have switched to 22" wheeled carry on bags. Once you add wheels, you add weight, and the weight of the cubes doesn't really matter, except when you have to carry your bag up the steps to get on a train, or in a train station running from one track to another up and down the steps. I find the cubes to keep me very organized. The same set has lasted for 10 years - mine are from Eagle Creek. This company has just come out with a super lightweight cube, but I'm not going to spend the money to replace something that is working so well. I use different colors for different items so it's easy to get to just what I need with no problem. AND, most important, the cubes keep my clothing from "exploding" in the suitcase....I find I have extra room for extras I might buy on my holidays in my suitcase because of the cubes.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks everyone for some great feedback. Greatly appreciated! Prem

Posted by
80 posts

I agree with the idea that all packing aids add weight---that being said the rick steves packing cubes are very lite weight. --I use the full cube for shirts and a half cube for sock, underwear, and any "cold weather gear" if needed--I add a regular dopp kit and raincoat and I'm packed---the cubes keep the gear in place when I'm using my bay as a bacpac Paul

Posted by
16028 posts

We use both Eagle Creek envelopes and packing cubes. I like the organization and wrinkle-free clothes they provide. yes, they add weight but I don't care. I call it exercise. I take three pairs of shoes too. So there.

Posted by
1626 posts

We use the Eagle Creek packing cubs. Several reason I use for every trip. Keeps stuff organized by type of clothes. I like the two sided ones- one side is clean clothes, the other side dirty. Also, if you are on the move from one hotel to another, packing takes about 5 minutes and always fits the same way back into the suitcase.

Posted by
28 posts

I have never used one before but I too am going to Italy in September for 2 weeks and I want to pack everything in my carry on luggage! Will these help me pack more with less space?!

Posted by
4137 posts

....I take three pairs of shoes too. So there.
OMG , the Imelda Marcos of travel ;-)

Posted by
951 posts

I'm extreme. I use compression bags and then stuff them into cubes for organized symmetrical packing in my osprey porter back pack. Would not have it any other waY. We usually travel in winter, so our sweater and jeans really compact nicely with the bags.

Posted by
392 posts

I like the packing cubes too, for the reasons mentioned above. As to the added weight, as long as you're packing light to begin with, the negligible weight added shouldn't be an issue.

Posted by
503 posts

I am a recent convert to packing cubes - having my carry on taken apart by LHR security TWICE convinced me. Utter waste of my time since there was NOTHING in my bag for security to check, but that's another story. Why I use cubes: 1. See the above. 2. Makes packing and re packing faster and easier. 3. I know exactly where every item is in my carry -on. Yes, they add a tad bit more weight to my bag - but for me the trade off is worth it.
I DON'T use them in order to pack more into my carry on. Yes, they do compress my clothes somewhat. However, if that is what you are looking for, you probably need to re think your packing strategy or simply admit you need a bigger case and check it.

Posted by
2788 posts

I would have posted exactly what Nancy said except for the fact that I have been using RS packing cubes for a long time for my month long trip to Europe every summer.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks everyone. I just ordered my set of packing cubes!

Posted by
281 posts

I agree with Nancy on the packing cubes and the security at LHR. They take everything of your bag and separate it in round containers. They run some of the items through again while testing others for residue. After all is said and done, you are left with a total repacking job. I will avoid
LHR in the future and connect in CDG.

Posted by
16028 posts

"the Imelda Marcos of travel". Well, not exactly, as I do not wear spike heels. But to be honest, for our upcoming trip I will take 5!!! Pair of shoes and boots. Our 6 week trip will span 2 seasons ( summer and fall) and include activities from serious hiking in the Dolomites to opera in Venice, with lots of bicycling and city walks ( and morning runs) in between. So it comes out to five,of which I will wear one pair on the plane. But I have small feet, and my clothes are small, so I know it will all fit in a 22"carry-on plus the daypack I use as a " personal item". The packing cubes and envelopes help me keep it all in order. We fly though Heathrow every trip and I have yet to experience a luggage search, but if it happens, I am ready!

Posted by
392 posts

Lola, I think you should bring four pairs of shoes and buy a pair in Italy ;) Italian leather! I usually bring three pairs, too. Two that I can walk in, usually some kind of Merrells, either mary janes or hiking boots. And Aerosoles ballet flats or Easy Spirit sandals. I will also then bring a very light ballet slipper or metallic flat sandal for dressing up. Gap makes leather ballet flats that are not too expensive and pack flat. Not much arch support, but fine for me to wear for a few hours at night when I am mostly sitting to eat or see a show. Packing light is all about priorities.

Posted by
16028 posts

Christina, that is a great idea! I will be discarding my hiking boots after the Dolomites, so will have room for another pair of shoes, and what better place to buy them than Italy? My husband will understand, I'm sure; he plans to buy a sportcoat or maybe even a suit while we are there.

Posted by
392 posts

I am told via PM that it may be that most of the leather in Italy is really Turkish. Caveat emptor, I guess. But you can still find nice shoes and they will make a fun souvenir; if you want to support local manufacture, though, it looks like you'll have to do research. Though I suppose the shoes could be made in Italy with Turkish leather.

Posted by
23178 posts

Interesting. We were looking at leather products in Florence last month and were told that most of the leather is coming from S America but still manufactured in Italy. Who really knows? Assume leather is leather.

Posted by
392 posts

I figure it's the Italian craftsmanship that's the important thing.

Posted by
3940 posts

Is that something new they've started at Heathrow? Been thru 3 times and they've put my bag thru the xray, but have never had them take anything out...maybe luck of the draw (like having your car torn apart when crossing the border between the US and Canada...always glad so far not to be that poor soul). I have had stricter security at our airport in Halifax...doing the scan for residue, opening up my clearly marked eye makeup remover pads and asking me what they were (uh, duh...eye makeup remover pads)...to almost non-existent security screening...in Halifax...where they ran my bag thru but didn't even have me take out my liquids bag...there seems to be no 'standard' - last trip thru LHR, I had to dig out my lipstick and lip balm and put in a bag, which I don't think was an issue before. BTW - have packing cubes, I don't know if I've quite mastered them yet...lol..but I do like them for keeping my toiletries together (once thru the airport) and keeping electronic stuff together, and keeping dirty clothes sep from clean...

Posted by
503 posts

I don't know how "new" it is - happened to me both times I was through LHR last year and almost missed my connection both times. "Efficient" isn't a term I'd use for their security set up. Both times, Security had pulled about 10 -12 bags to search and after spending about 10 minutes discussing their evening plans, they finally got around to actually taking the bags apart. I asked what triggered the search and was told it was "random" - which is fine, I get that. What bothered me the most though was their attitude of "we'll get to it when we are good and ready" - no matter that I had a plane to catch. Funny thing was on my last trip home my DH and I checked everything except a small tote and my husband's ipad case. They pulled him and made him pull out the ipad, his magazine, earphones and kleenex (which is all he had for the plane) and wanded every single item.
So I think the lesson is to either avoid LHR or go there stark naked.

Posted by
2119 posts

Prem ... back to packing cubes, I find they work really well when I roll up my clothes. That way, you can easily spot the shirt (or whatever) you're looking for and remove it from the cube without disturbing the other items. I use the large size cube (which takes up about half my carry-on bag) for all of my tops and bottoms. I use a small one for socks, undies, swimsuit. Throw in my rain jacket, toiletry kit, shoes, and a stuff sack with electronic chargers, and I'm ready to go.

Posted by
11 posts

Hands down the cubes and Ziplocks are the way to travel. It saves so much time in just staying organized let alone compressing the clothes.