Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help!

A girlfriend and I are planning to backpack through Italy. We fly into Milan on May 14th and out of Rome on May 27th. She really wants to go to Sicily, so we are trying to incorporate that and refine our itinerary. Any suggestions on where to best spend our time? We are on strict budgets (college students) so any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Posted by
1127 posts

If you're on a budget skip Sicily because a car is needed to explore the area - not wise if you're on a budget. You can do it without a car, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You need to provide more information if you want people to suggest an itinerary. What are your interests?

Posted by
16 posts

We definitely want to go to the Cinque Terre, Florence, Rome, and to visit Pompeii. We both enjoy art but we don't want to make out trip too museum-heavy. One of her relatives suggested Montepulciano - does anyone think it's worth a stop??

We basically want to make the most of the short time we have but keep a balance between art/museums and more general siteseeing. I suppose one of the most important things to us is efficient use of our time, because we don't have very much of it. My friend has never been abroad, so she wants to catch the 'highlights' of Italy, so to speak.

Posted by
405 posts

Be sure to stay at least one night in Florence. If you want to visit the Uffizi, consider online ticket purchasing. I've heard that you might not get in otherwise. factor in a rest day after every 5 or 6 days. your friend will definitely need it if she hasn't done much traveling. Have a great trip and remember to budget for gelato!